Chevron fuel system vs. fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevron makes a "Pro Gard" fuel injector cleaner, and as we all know, the highly regarded "Techron" fuel system cleaner. What is the difference between these two cleaners? Do both contain PEA, just at different concentrations?

I was in Napa just a few hours ago and saw the 2 different Techrons too and wondered. One was 30 cents more than the other.

They also had 3M fuel system cleaner on the shelf.

No Lubromoly mos2 though.

The search function here no longer works to my satisfaction. It seems the first 300 hits have almost nothing to do with my search queries.

I believe it was progard

you can also use the advanced search and only search the applicable forum.. which helps alot..

the search engine here is ... um... um...
useable if you work it correctly..

if you just plop stuff in you get about 3020202 bad results.
one of the few things on this site that needs sorely upgraded.

I will make it simple, I'll keep using Redline SI-1 or BG44k... I know both of these will clean up most fuel systems with one bottle. I do want too have to try and remember which Chevron, Proguard, whatever to use.

Last edited:
A better way to search BITOG is to use Google and put the topic you are searching and site:bobistheoilguy.com in the search box. Like this: Chevron Fuel System Cleanersite:bobistheoilguy.com

It works very well and you should be able to find what you need easily.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I believe it was progard

you can also use the advanced search and only search the applicable forum.. which helps alot..

the search engine here is ... um... um...
useable if you work it correctly..

if you just plop stuff in you get about 3020202 bad results.
one of the few things on this site that needs sorely upgraded.

That and the censor function. It is nothing short of insane.
grin.gif

The fuel injector cleaner doesn't have PEA. Get Chevron Techon fuel system cleaner which does contain PEA, is on BOGO 10 months out of the year, and used to be and may still be the only fuel cleaner that auto manufacturers recommend.

Originally Posted By: Capa
The fuel injector cleaner doesn't have PEA. Get Chevron Techon fuel system cleaner which does contain PEA, is on BOGO 10 months out of the year, and used to be and may still be the only fuel cleaner that auto manufacturers recommend.

Finally, an answer.

Thanks.

Chevron in the quote said it contained Tecron which is mostly PEA. Something is fishy.

Originally Posted By: DaHen

Finally, an answer.

Thanks.

Unfortunately the wrong answer. I was in Autozone today and Proguard clearly said it contains Techron.

The consensus is that it doesn't contain enough to make it worth the price. The only exception may be if you pick up a multi pack cheap at Costco.

Your choices are:

1) If you want to be sure of the high percentage of PEA - Redline. Supposedly in excess of 50% and it contains an upper cylinder lubricant.

2) Techron Concentrate Plus obviously contains PEA but I've seen MSDS that talk about a range of 30% to 50%. So base you price to PEA ratio on the lower 30% when comparing to Redline.

3) Gumout Fuel System Cleaner either Regane, Regane High Mileage or All in One are supposed to contain PEA. High Mileage has more PEA than Regane. All In One treats 35 gallons instead of 21 gallons so supposedly has more PEA and it also contains a friction modifier.

Right now, Big Lots sells older bottles of All in One for $4. These treat a 35 gallon tank. In comparison the Techron BOGOF is $8 for 2 x 12 gallons = 24 gallons. So if Gumout are not overstating how much a bottle can treat, the Big Lots price is 3 times less than Techron BOGOF while the regular Walmart price is 1.5 times less than Techron BOGOF.

That's quite a margin of safety so, after quite a dramatic improvement from All In One on one of my cars, I have stocked up on 3 All in Ones from Big Lots for a total of $12. Now that I'm mainly using top tier, these 3 x 35 gallon tank dosing bottles will probably last me several years.

Last edited:
Just because Regane All in One claims to treat 35 gallons doesn't mean that it has more PEA than Chevron Techron. Your reasoning is logically flawed. Again, get the cleaner that auto manufacturers recommend---Chevron Techron.

Also, I paid $12 for 2 of the bigger bottles of Chevron Techron that were on BOGO and each treats 20 gallons. That's 40 gallons for $12. I can trust Chevron's PEA to gallon ratio because it's Chevron and it's what auto manufacturers recommend. It is the standard and when on BOGO it is incredibly cheap.

Really, is it that difficult to gamble $10-$20 on fuel system cleaner to find the one which works for you? Personally, all of the known good ones have worked for me in the past and trying to find the "best" one has not been successful. I have been overdosing with them for last twenty five years.

Answer to the original question, Techron FI is lot milder version of Techron FSC. Stick with Techron FSC, Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, 3M Max Strength FSC. They all work. BG-44K is also known to be a good one but I do not have recent experience with it anymore. First two can be picked up locally at good prices.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Really, is it that difficult to gamble $10-$20 on fuel system cleaner to find the one which works for you? Personally, all of the known good ones have worked for me in the past and trying to find the "best" one has not been successful. I have been overdosing with them for last twenty five years.

Answer to the original question, Techron FI is lot milder version of Techron FSC. Stick with Techron FSC, Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, 3M Max Strength FSC. They all work. BG-44K is also known to be a good one but I do not have recent experience with it anymore. First two can be picked up locally at good prices.

BG44K still works very well and seems to produce results after one can. I know because I recommend it to friends that have fuel system issues(neglect) and it works... I am also impressed with Redline. Techron fuel system cleaner also works but it seems tto me that you need to double the dose to get the results of one can of BG44K.

Last edited:
Just because Regane All in One claims to treat 35 gallons doesn't mean that it has more PEA than Chevron Techron. Your reasoning is logically flawed. Again, get the cleaner that auto manufacturers recommend---Chevron Techron.

Also, I paid $12 for 2 of the bigger bottles of Chevron Techron that were on BOGO and each treats 20 gallons. That's 40 gallons for $12. I can trust Chevron's PEA to gallon ratio because it's Chevron and it's what auto manufacturers recommend. It is the standard and when on BOGO it is incredibly cheap.

I'm quite a logical person and don't think my logic is flawed at all. And I will tell you why in a logical format.

Firstly, Chevron say that Techron is the ingredient that cleans the fuel system.

Secondly, Techron = PEA.

Thirdly, nobody has ever said that the PEA in one brand is different to the PEA in another.

Fourthly, lots of people have said Gumout works and it contains a decent amount of PEA.

Fifthly, if you got 40 gallon of treatment for $12 and I got 35 gallons of treatment for $4, then you would have to have 2.6 times more PEA than me to have gotten the same value for money.

I think that given all the above, it is highly likely I have gotten more cleaning power for each $ than you did.

Lastly, I have a Mercedes so understand that they recommend Techron. I've switched to Techron gas because I've seen no proof that other top tier contains PEA detergents. They also recommend Mobil 1 but lots of people buy other MB229.5 approved oils.

Last edited:
There is still a logical problem. Who or what determines how much product is needed for x amount of gallons? You are assuming that Chevron and your inexpensive product have the exact same standard. That is a big assumption. I can also get cheaper products than you that claim to clean x amount of gallons
wink.gif
Of ourse, that doesn't prove anything logically unless we know the exact ingredients and percentages of these products and understand their effectiveness. $6-7 for a 20 gallon treatment of Chevron Techon is plenty cheap for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back