Difference between 5W50 and 20W50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What`s the *real* difference between these two synthetic oils? Any one better over the other? Would a 20W have a better/stronger base oil than a 5W?

one will likely shear worse and flow better, the other shear less and flow worse. At practical ambient temperatures the real difference may not be that great.

But likely it is not advisable to use a 20wt below 30F or so.

"stronger" base? Id bet that all things being equal (like not dino vs syn), the 20w- would have higher HT/HS and be more stout.

Why not look at some spec sheets and post your findings for relevant parameters?

Well,out of all the oils I`ve tried,50 wts always just run the smoothest. My uoa with RP Synerlec 20W50 was flawless,and that oci was when I drove my car the hardest and fastest it`s ever been driven,and gas mileage was incredible.

I have a case of QSUD 5W50 I got a killer deal on,BUT,Sopus told me it`s been discontinued. That just leaves Syntec 5W50. If RP still made the Synerlec 20W50,I`d use that exclusively (haven`t seen enough data/experience of the HPS to know if it`s worth messing with). I`ve considered Synpower 20W50,and then there`s always Mobil 1 15W50,and ExxonMobil told me Walmart is supposed to start carrying the 5 quart jugs asap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Well,out of all the oils I`ve tried,50 wts always just run the smoothest. My uoa with RP Synerlec 20W50 was flawless,and that oci was when I drove my car the hardest and fastest it`s ever been driven,and gas mileage was incredible.

I have a case of QSUD 5W50 I got a killer deal on,BUT,Sopus told me it`s been discontinued. That just leaves Syntec 5W50. If RP still made the Synerlec 20W50,I`d use that exclusively (haven`t seen enough data/experience of the HPS to know if it`s worth messing with). I`ve considered Synpower 20W50,and then there`s always Mobil 1 15W50,and ExxonMobil told me Walmart is supposed to start carrying the 5 quart jugs asap.

Royal Purple HPS still has Synerlec in it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My uoa with RP Synerlec 20W50 was flawless,and that oci was when I drove my car the hardest and fastest it`s ever been driven,and gas mileage was incredible.

Then what's the problem? Not all engines like thin oil, and thin oil does
not provide the best lubrication for all engines. Stay with RP 20W-50.

Some syn 20W-50 oils might actually be thinner than 20W, but they label it as that for marketing reasons. If it'll pass the 15W test or 10W test, it has already passed the 20W test which calls for an oil no thicker than the spec.

Syntec 5w-50 is a very smooth running oil. Even in the winter. I also am a fan of the Xw-40 and Xw-50 oils, though most of my apps are heavy duty or old model. I did have a volvo that I ran the Syntec in exclusively and it was a very nice running engine/oil combo. The last VOA on it showed a decent add pack. I would like to see one on the Syntec 20w-50 as it is also readily available in my area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: twigdog
Syntec 20w-50 as it is also readily available in my area.

Does Castrol still make this,or was it replaced with the 5W50?

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644

Looks like I've been out of the loop a little. They have finally merged the two and that would explain why the new add pack in the 5w-50 looks so much better than it used to. Exciting. May have found a new regular oil. I've been running your old favorite Valvoline Racing 20w-50. Though I have no problems with it starting even down into the teens a few nights lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back