Pennzoil Platinum vs Kendall Synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a dumb question but I am strongly considering switching from PP to Kendall Synthetic Blend. Both are 5 W 30. I have always been a big fan of Pennzoil but before that Kendall products. I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent and a 2006 Acura TSX. I have used PP in both and the OCI is usually around 5500 with a premium filter (NAPA Gold or WIX or better) in each. Considering the cost of PP is around $6/qt and the Kendall is about $3.50/qt....for this short of OCI.....I am finding it hard to justify the added expense.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thank you!!

If there's a Kendall marketer nearby you might want check into the Kendall full synthetic. My supplier only gets $6 more for a case of 12 qts of the synthetic over the syn blend.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
If there's a Kendall marketer nearby you might want check into the Kendall full synthetic. My supplier only gets $6 more for a case of 12 qts of the synthetic over the syn blend.

The price I am seeing is $1.20 off per quart at the local AutoZone stores for the blend. Kendall is not readily available in my area.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
I also found a reliable local source for Kendall and plan to give it a try in both my vehicles.

I used Kendall years ago in a 1969 Corvette and also a big block Cutlass. Never any problems but never any problems with Pennzoil in MANY miles on a rural mail route in a Chevy. I think both are excellent oils but the price or the Kendall is really something to consider.

Originally Posted By: johnachak

Could you tell me how much you paid for the 12 qt. case of Synthetic Kendall....I'm interested in getting the 0w20.

Kendall will do the job for the oci that your running. Will be using Kendall synthetic blend on my mazda on the next oil change. Picked up 2 cases for 60 dollars from craigslist.

Last edited:
I admit I do like SOPUS.

With that said absolutely nothing wrong with any of the Conoco products, especially Kendall. However, if you want to save some money, you can still stay full synthetic and go with QSUD for around $4 a quart everyday price if you buy the 5 quart @ Wal-mart.... just my $.02.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
I admit I do like SOPUS.

With that said absolutely nothing wrong with any of the Conoco products, especially Kendall. However, if you want to save some money, you can still stay full synthetic and go with QSUD for around $4 a quart everyday price if you buy the 5 quart @ Wal-mart.... just my $.02.

I have this life-long aversion to Quaker State products. Many years ago I tried QS 2 cycle oil in a Mercury outboard as I sometimes ran out of the Quicksilver (Mercury) oil. It would never fail that any time I used the QS it would foul a spark plug.

I am sure QS is probably as good as many other oils out there but it is just something I am not willing to try for any amount of money saved.

Same thing with store brand oil and really inexpensive filters, I just am not comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ruralcarrier
I have used PP in both and the OCI is usually around 5500 with a premium filter (NAPA Gold or WIX or better) in each. Considering the cost of PP is around $6/qt and the Kendall is about $3.50/qt....for this short of OCI.....I am finding it hard to justify the added expense.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thank you!!

I like PP but for that interval I would go with Kendall and save the cash.

Each vehicle has an OLM, the Torrent is just a light that comes on and the TSX has the % (percent) type. Daily commutes are between 20 and 50 miles and consistently both cars are due (according to the monitors) at about 5500 miles. Just really can't justify the additional cost of the full synthetic at those intervals.

Actually, I am sure regular dino oil would be sufficient but with the cost of the Kendall blend at $3.29/qt now it just seemed like a really good deal.

I used Kendall Syn blend (sm no ti) for the first 40k in my 04 Honda accord i4 at 5k oci and never had any isues. I had these oc's done at a tire shop before i caught the bug and started doing them myself, usually with pp and a p1 filter at a similar oci, though of late i've been expanding my horizons a bit. The valvetrain is spotless at 95k. imo you can make the transtion to kendall with confidence. i have some in my stash that i look forward to using in the miata.

I think all the ConocoPhillips products are the same under different labels. Kendall may have been something special years ago when they were independent. I have no problem using ConocoPhillips76Kenall oils, but don't think that they are anything special because they are a syn blend. CP has been importing low quality Korean Group III "synthetic" base oil to use in these blends. Good oil, but probably nothing special. For the original poster, yes, these oils should work find as would any good name oil---Chevron/Texaco, Shell/Pennz/QS, Valvoline, ExxonMobil, etc.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
PP is $18.75(5 quart jug) at Walmart...

Not in my area. It is $24.97 and they are often out of stock. The last time I bought some they did substitute 5 single quarts for the same price since they were out of the 5qt jug. They were not happy about making the substitution but I insisted their rain check would do no good in my engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back