need oil filters with built in bypass valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting a full flow oil filter onto an older marine motor which never had one. So there is NO oil bypass valve built into the engine. All oil is pumped from block to a cooler and back into the block oil pressure galleries. Engine does have a bleed stream 2 micron bypass filter.

So the oil filter ideally should have a built in bypass valve, or when starting cold or filter clogs means reduced oil flow to the motor. Some filters have this and some dont. The base adapter will take a fram PH8A or a Purolator PL30001 filter. Do these have a builtin bypass filter? Do any filters that would fit this?

The remote base adapter is Trans Dapt 1028

Last edited:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#fram-ph8a

looks like the fram PH8A does have a bypass valve. So maybe the purolator does, anyone know?
ok, it does, so I think I will be fine.
Pure One PL30001

This filter has a few improvements over the Premium Plus. It has a denser synthetic filter media to filter out smaller particles and more surface area to make up for the flow restriction. Aside from those the cartridge is the same construction as the Premium Plus.

The filter cartridge has an even more impressive surface area of 400 sqin. The potential issue is that this filter element is compressed into even more pleats (64) than the Premium Plus. This may restrict flow more than it helps relieve it, but it is hard to say for sure as the siping in the pleats are supposed to keep the pleat gaps open. It also features a spring-loaded metal bypass valve and a silicone rubber diaphragm-type anti-drainback valve, which doubles as the seal between the backplate and the cartridge. The bypass valve is located at the back of the cartridge, not at the front. The gasket is PTFE-treated for easier installation and a better seal.

Last edited:
i use L30001 on a 1991 mercury 5.0 V8 and have success with it. Also the 2515 Napa pro select is very good.

unless i'm using synthetic oil and keeping oil for a year or more, i think it a waste for the PL30001. plus, i have heard that the media is so dense that it may restrict oil flow.

Classis 30001 is a great filter. Napa ProSelect 2515 is equal too

a filter bypass is not an engine bypass.

you need some type of mechanical bypass or you could possibly blow your filter right off the engine if the pressure got high enough.(ie cold high rpm etc)

The oil pump itself has an internal bypass. Mostly regulates PSI to about 40 or 50 lbs maximum.

So as long as the filter has a bypass should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back