Effect on oil of fuel system cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a successful run of a PEA cleaner, would you expect the oil to be black or for the carbon to have exited through the exhaust?

That has been mentioned on here before along with the recommendation of performing a fuel system cleaning prior to an oil change.

Originally Posted By: cancov
That has been mentioned on here before along with the recommendation of performing a fuel system cleaning prior to an oil change.

I made this mistake last OCI...dumped in a bottle of Red Line SI-1(yes, an entire bottle), after 1,000 miles into the OCI. I went 7,500 or so with no ill results. It did dirty up the oil at that concentration, to be sure.

It is fine to run Redline at any time during a OCI. The small amount of cleaner that may get into the oil will not cause any issues.

I know people that run MMO, Kreen, Redline, Techron, etc at every fill up and they have not had any issues but very clean fuel systems and engines... And yes, I know some that actually also use full bottles every other tank. Not cheap. LOL...

^The issue was all of the carbon/crud was dumped into the oil and not all out the exhaust. If anything, a good percentage of whatever the SI-1 got was left in for the oil filter to catch, so who knows if it would increase wear via particle streak or not, etc.

The reason for the original post was to see if there was any indication that the additive had completely worked.

So for example, if we expect the oil to turn black from carbon, and these are supposedly one tank treatments, then on the first usage, the oil would be black, but on the second, the oil wouldn't be because there is nothing to clean.

On the other hand, I heard that carbon is like a dye, so very little would be needed.

Anyway, I'm just trying to look for secondary verification, beyond the butt dino, that it's worked and the cleaning is complete.

If it's reasonable that a dirty system will turn oil black and a clean system won't, then it might make sense to do one treatment before an oil change, then another after.

^Exactly, the difference between tpitcher's experience and mine, both recently. I had high insols in the past, my car isn't as clean as his, or is it now?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Exactly, the difference between tpitcher's experience and mine, both recently. I had high insols in the past, my car isn't as clean as his, or is it now?
grin2.gif

lol.gif
We may never know.

Originally Posted By: cancov

But that thinking really makes no sense as those people seem to believe the fuel system cleaner goes right past the rings and into the oil. Also you run a cleaner but they seem to think nothing gets burnt up in the combustion process, it magically stays around to sneak past the rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back