99 Jeep - What grease for zerks/ball joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just got a 99 Jeep.

It says I need to:

1. Lubricate Steering Linkage - zerks
2. Lubricate Suspension Ball Joints

Please advise on what type of grease I need to buy for the job.

I heard something petroleum based is bad.

I don't know if all grease is created equally, so please advise on high quality and if you bought it at a Napa, Autozone, or Oreilly. If I have to order it online, I'll do that too.

Here is something from the FSM:

greasee.jpg

I generally try to use synthetic nowadays, but in the past "regular" grease didn't let me down.

Most of the zerks for your Wrangler are easy to access; but there's one on each front wheel that is pretty tight, and unless you have a 90 degree fitting the wheel will have to come off. I usually check these when I do a tire rotation.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
No reason to remove the tires to grease the upper ball joints if you have a flexible hose on your grease gun

I've got the flexible hose and it doesn't quite fit in the space. Maybe there's a better one, but the one I have is the one they had when I bought the grease gun!

Schaeffer's is good grease. I've heard of some greases running when they got hot but couldn't say what brand.

Last edited:
What temp grade?

It comes in 3 options:

#1 has an operating temperature of -10ºF to 350ºF
#2 has an operating temperature of 0ºF to 350ºF
#3 has an operating temperature of 30ºF to 350ºF

Originally Posted By: JeepGirlTX87
What temp grade?

It comes in 3 options:

#1 has an operating temperature of -10ºF to 350ºF
#2 has an operating temperature of 0ºF to 350ºF
#3 has an operating temperature of 30ºF to 350ºF

If it's the same price perhaps #1 would let you drive with confidence in more of the US?

Go #2 in texas. I would just get general purpose moly grease from walmart or wherever in the tubes ready to go in the gun. They rarely have the #2 anywhere on the tube.

Quick answer: For steering linkage & ball joints, either the Schaeffer's or Mobil 1 Synthetic will work great. In fact, you're on the right track with any grease certified as GC-LB. I also agree the NLGI #2 is what you need. (I live in West Texas where it's both hot and dusty and #2 is all I use)...and when I use synthetic grease...its Mobil 1 (it IS prone to leakage out of a gun kept under pressure when not in use, but it also has had, for years, a well-deserved reputation as an outstanding chassis and wheel-bearing grease for usage in applications such as your's.

I'd skip m1.. I've used it in the past and wasnt happy.

Green grease from TSC is amazing.

I'd buy anything shaeffers but with mail order case quantities and other nonsense I usually pass.. too much hassle.

M1 leaked out of a room temp gun with the handle pulled (no pressure) I've had 99cent discount tubes that didnt leak even half as bad.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Chris142
No reason to remove the tires to grease the upper ball joints if you have a flexible hose on your grease gun

I've got the flexible hose and it doesn't quite fit in the space. Maybe there's a better one, but the one I have is the one they had when I bought the grease gun!

Schaeffer's is good grease. I've heard of some greases running when they got hot but couldn't say what brand.
I use the Harbor Freight Pneumatic grease gun and it's hose works fine. Did somebody replace your straight Zerks with angled ones?

I contacted my "local" Schaeffer's Rep...

He's located about 30 mins from me.

I asked if he knew if they had any local retailers, etc. He said none closeby that sell the 238.

BUT he said he'll be in my part of town this coming week and will give me a tube of 238, grade 2, as he always has it on hand.

Awesome!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back