Stoddard solvents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the pros and cons of stoddard solvents in a fuel additive? What would an additive with stoddard solvents do to E-10 fuel stored over time?

The pros are that they could (not will, could) dissolve something that your fuel additives weren't. The cons are that they are basically mineral spirits that are sold to you for about a 1000 percent markup, and probably aren't needed in the first place. E10 is going to mix with them just like any petroleum distillate. As far as I know they would do nothing to mitigate the bad aspects of ethanol (oxidation and water absorption).

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The pros are that they could (not will, could) dissolve something that your fuel additives weren't. The cons are that they are basically mineral spirits that are sold to you for about a 1000 percent markup, and probably aren't needed in the first place. E10 is going to mix with them just like any petroleum distillate. As far as I know they would do nothing to mitigate the bad aspects of ethanol (oxidation and water absorption).
BINGO! John--Las Vehas

If you really want a cleaning use some lacquer thinner. Usually around a 50/50 mix of toluene and xylene. 1 gallon to 10 of gas is what I do. It's a great octane booster too.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back