Lubro Moly for Gears = Waste of $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried 2 tubes of this additive in my Toyota diff and it is worthless....does nothing. I was getting a very slight whine at 35-45mph....1000 miles later...still there. I put it into a fresh fill of Mobil1 75w90. Is that too much moly for the Mobil1 now and should I drain it?

Last edited:
I know on my own that to much moly can mess with synchros in tranny.

I used their oil and additive in 2 different cars.

How is it the additives fault that it did not fix the noise coming from your worn drive line?

How do you know the product is worthless? You may have some issue that a lubricant or additive cant repair.

Is this a limited slip diff that uses a clutch pack? If so drain, fill and use the OEM LS additive.
If not forget it, the extra moly isn't an issue.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Is this a limited slip diff that uses a clutch pack? If so drain, fill and use the OEM LS additive.

If that is the case (a clutch pack LSD), wouldn't this additive not only render the diff ineffective, but also effectively destroy it by plating/coating the clutch plates??

Maybe but i think it depends on the level of saturation, i have seen too much used in motorcycle wet clutches and they recovered.
The length of time it has to saturate in i would guess is a concern also.

Pandora's box maybe being opened with this one.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Brenden
How is it the additives fault that it did not fix the noise coming from your worn drive line?

Really, this is a better perspective.

Sorry about your broken rear end, though.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

+1. A whine is a bearing issue. Sorry the vehicle has problems... Not sure how an additive not silencing it is the additive's fault.

If the whine is at light throttle it is usually not enough pinion bearing preload.

Or mask the noise with thicker fluid or a flowmaster ha ha.

^^What is the whine like, and when does it happen, when it is a ring & pinion backlash/depth/setting problem (and NOT a bearing, or bearing pre-load problem)??
21.gif

Because it is advertised to quiet gear whine in differentials. The differential has a very slight gear whine at 35-45mph and on decel at 60-50mph. So it is probably a gear depth adjustment. Not a pinion bearing as I have had one of those and this is definitely not that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. A whine is a bearing issue. Sorry the vehicle has problems... Not sure how an additive not silencing it is the additive's fault.

Not a bearing

Originally Posted By: Highline9
If the whine is at light throttle it is usually not enough pinion bearing preload.

Or mask the noise with thicker fluid or a flowmaster ha ha.

Not it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Right. It's the additives fault.

It is advertised to quiet differentials. Hellooooooo?

From Amazon:

Product Features
Concentrated "moly" treatment for manual transmissions transaxles, and rear axles
Reduces gear noise and whine
Smoothens shifting
Protects gears from pitting, scuffing, binding and overloading
Sufficient for up to 2½ qts. of oil

Last edited:

Rear end is not broken just very slight gear whine. It only has about 40k on it and oil change reveals NO debris. Barely any fuzz on the magnet. Oil analysis says very minimal wear.

Originally Posted By: Trav
How do you know the product is worthless? You may have some issue that a lubricant or additive cant repair.

Open diff no LSD

Originally Posted By: Doog
I tried 2 tubes of this additive in my Toyota diff and it is worthless....does nothing. I was getting a very slight whine at 35-45mph....1000 miles later...still there. I put it into a fresh fill of Mobil1 75w90. Is that too much moly for the Mobil1 now and should I drain it?

Did you build rearend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back