how to stop exhaust rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been dealing with this problem for awhile on my Saturn. Everything I've done seems to only work temporarily. The exhaust is hitting over the back suspension. There isn't a lot of room or anywhere to really strap it up. The muffler hanger is as tight as can be trust me. I about killed myself getting that tight.
smile.gif
what should I do. Its not so bad that it does it all the time it does it once in awhile . Also last night went grocery shopping and had a trunk full of groceries and it rattled bad then. Its not a constant rattle just mostly going slow down my road or something bumpy. I know the problem just not how to fix it. Anty help is appreciated

I also get somekind of exhaust rattle but its only when I have the car in drive and sitting at a red light. Very annoying...

Whats more annoying is try to locate and fix it. My car has no corrosion issues(10K miles on vehicle but out of warranty) and it drives me nuts. Good thing is it only happens a few time a week. Weird...

Goodluck...

Last edited:
Go to a parts store and get a slip on pipe adaptor, 1.75 (or 1.875) ID on one end, OD on the other. Unclamp the muffler and slide it off. Stick some more pipe in so there are another couple inches between the cat and the muffler. Replace the muffler and it will all be riding higher.

The thing of this car is it has a downward sloping pipe rear of the rear axle crossmember, and every time the muffler is replaced the old one gets stuck and another inch of pipe is sawzalled off. The muffler locates the arch over the axle so the clearance gets worse and worse.

Since you'll probably wreck your muffler, advance auto has a $28 special that's even cheaper with coupons. You'll need some muffler clamps etc.

If you're brave you can cut the pipe ahead of the muffler and monkey it up there, and possibly save the muffler.

Only thing I could think would be a way of wrapping it with insulation or something.....obviously would have to be somewhat weather/heat-proof though :p If tightening it more is now an option that is
wink.gif

If still has the oe saturn muffler. It's al welded together and I don't have anything to cut it with. Could the rubber hangers be worn causing it to move to much

If it's the OE muffler give it a tug and shake it around. The straps rust out overhead. Fixing it is an exercise in little fingers and rust flakes in the eye balls. You may find disappointment in that removing the strap will show you a strap-shaped rust hole in the remaining muffler.

Muffler replacement requires a reciprocating saw. HF has them for $25 and they're good around the house and future exhaust work.

Yea I may invest in one here soon. I was thinking of replacing the rubber hangers and see where that gets me. The band around the muffler isn't rusted its been off before . It may not be original but it does say Saturn on it LOL. I'm going to see how much those rubber hangers are.

Hahaha tin foil . That really worked? I adjusted the rubber hanger behind the cat and I made a hanger out of coat hanger went through a hole in the frame cut the hanger put to loops one in each end and then jacked the exhaust and used a metal zip tie and strapped the ends together . The way they do the exhaust on these cars is really stupid that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I made a hanger out of coat hanger went through a hole in the frame cut the hanger put to loops one in each end and then jacked the exhaust and used a metal zip tie and strapped the ends together . The way they do the exhaust on these cars is really stupid that's for sure.
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back