Oil smells Burnt... What could this mean???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed my oil in my 2003 GMC 2500HD 8.1L with 119,000 miles on it. I use valvoline high millage(red bottle) 5w-30. Smelled the oil like always ha! and noticed it smelled a little burnt. Buddy told me could mean burnt valve(s). Any truth to that? Truck has beeen running fine and haven't noticed any burning oil smell when I'm driving.

Smell by way of dipstick/bottle? Before or after you added it? Our GMC's engines seem bulletproof unless you want to run w/out an air cleaner.
shocked.gif

My truck is bulletproof HA! and its been in just under 5000 miles. I usually change it every 3000 but as with everyone money has been tight.

i smelled it as it was draining into the oil change pan and the oil that was on my hands smelled that way. And the oil oil smelled burnt not the new oil after it was put in.

Like i said it smelled burnt. Didn't smell like used motor oil. no issues with the 8.1L. Just was wondering if it could mean something is going on that i should look into. Its a monster of an engine and transmisson and I travel 120 miles to work on mondays for the week and don't want to break down on the Interstate.

I really think your friend is wrong(burnt valves). But I'm not your friend. What is the real question? If your GMC runs. Is it some bleed off of diesel?

There is likely no problem.
Oil will smell different after a longer run.
If you've always changed it every 3K, but have now gone to 5K, which is well within the capability of the big block and the Maxlife, that may account for the difference in scent.
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
I doubt that you have bad exhaust valves and seats.
Let me throw in a BITOG favorite.
UOA your next 5K run of Maxlife.
Spend 20-25 bucks just to see whether anything scary is showing up in the oil.

Cool Thanks Man. This is my first Big Block and I'm Leaning That they are different than smaller engines( so to speak) and alot of the things I'm noticing is just " The Nature of the Beast".

I don't how long you (nature of) this beast. Every engine is Weird. My old OLDS will die @ some time.

The Engine won't Die/body/cluster.

Way off post. Got too get it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: MLeBlanc
Smelled the oil like always ha! and noticed it smelled a little burnt. Buddy told me could mean burnt valve(s). Any truth to that?

Maybe 1%, oil is going to have some odor, especially after 5K mi due to a bit of blowby in the oil... There is no such as perfect ring seal, if there were we'd be running 25-50K mi OCI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back