Pirelli P4 vs Cooper CS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need tires for Dodge Caravan. It has a good set of Bridgestone Insignia SE200's and I'm tired of the noise....
whistle.gif

My wants= smooth ride, quite, decent handling.

My sister has the Pirelli P4's on her van and they seem pretty nice, what's the scoop on the Cooper CS4 everyone here talks about, don't know anyone that has them so i can compare.

Of coarse I'll consider other brands that meet my wants...

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame

I don't know about the tires, but that reminded me of some wise words:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Need tires for Dodge Caravan. It has a good set of Bridgestone Insignia SE200's and I'm tired of the noise....
whistle.gif

My wants= smooth ride, quite, decent handling.

My sister has the Pirelli P4's on her van and they seem pretty nice, what's the scoop on the Cooper CS4 everyone here talks about, don't know anyone that has them so i can compare.

Thanks

If you live in the Detroit metro area call this guy
8 MILE TIRES & Auto Service
13447 E. Eight Mile Rd.
Warren, MI 48089
(586) 871-2081 or Call Andy (248) 930-6923
They hooked me up with uniroyal tiger paws. $325 out the door for my taurus . 80000 mile tire . Quietest tire I ever have had. Even beat my michelins. those were 16's. None of that discount or belle sell me a warranty [censored]. Out the door my [censored]. Belle told me they couldn't even match the price. I asked about the beat it or free policy. They laughed. So did I as I walked out.

If your in Mich. I'd get something other than CS4's they aren't good in snow. Tread compound is hard and are like ice skates in winter.

Copper CS4 between those two tires. Made in USA is a bonus.

The CS4 will not get loud as it wears.

Wife has CS4 tires on her Satyrn. Great tire!! We had no p-roblems in last winter's snow here in central PA. Buy them again in a minute.

I had the CS4's (H rated) on my PT Cruiser. Tires were great for the first 15,000 miles...VERY smooth and quiet and decent in the snow. After that I noticed some treadwear (rotated every 7,000 miles)and an increase in noise...a little disappointed in the wear and noise after so few miles. I sold the car when the tires had about 18,000 miles on them (maybe the "T" rated version would give better wear?). In any case, I found the Hankook Optimo H727's to be a superior tire for wear, noise and expecially snow (awesome in the white stuff for an all-season). The reviews on the Hankooks are top notch (not made in the USA though if that's an issue).

FastGame,
You'll get similar responces to this post(P4 vs CS4) as the other posts listing(H727 vs CS4).

They're ALL GOOD tires and there are some very good high rated/scoring tires in this catigory. I have the Pirelli P4's on my '04 Nissan Altima 2.5 S and only use them in the winter and love'em. I purchaced these P4's 3 years ago due to good reviews, price at the time and also availability at that time.

Read the reviews of the tires in your catigory and size(s) and look for the tires that best fit your criteria and price range and availability, as some model tires aren't always available in all sizes. The #1 tire in a catigory may not be #1 for your criteria.

There is lots to choose from.
The Tire Rack has the best tire review section I have seen to date because...it's customer based, you can narrow down the vehicle like yours to see what others are saying about a particular tire and too, look for like vehicles and like climate conditions.

Keep in mind though that the reviews typicaly are about the tires when NEW but, there are reviews from folks of tires as the tire ages.

The Tire Rack also test tires(Professionaly) on their own track and post the results but, I doubt they're using a minivan to test the tires. They ususlly use BMW's. There might be something there for your interest and you may discover a tire that is even more suited for your needs/wants/climate/vehicle.

Good Luck
CB

Last edited:
I have them both on the same model and same year of car. They both do great in the snow. I thought the Pirelli would be the better tire, but it is starting to howl a bit after 10K. I have 30K on the Cooper's and they are still real quiet. Both did great in the snow.

I just wanted to share my experience with Cooper CS4 T-rated on a Honda Civic Coupe. I read about some concerns with low gas mileage but decided to give them a try anyway since everything else looked good. Here are actual gas mileage results of the previous Bridgestone Turanza EL400 (OEM tires) versus Coopers:

Last 2298 miles on Bridgestones: 35.1 MPG (@33.8k total miles)
First 2204 miles on Coopers: 31.6 MPG
First 625 miles on Coopers: 30.2 MPG
Last 566 miles on Coopers: 34.0 MPG

(Same drivers and same mix of local/highway miles)

Conclusion: Initial MPG mileage is indeed worse but improves at around 1500 miles on the tires. My expectation is MPG will continue to improve slightly with more mileage. Consumer Reports rated the rolling resistance below average for the CS4 but I believe that was when new and they did not retest after break-in.

After 2200 miles, I'm pleased with the ride, handling and noise of these tires. For any Honda Civic Coupe owners, I found the best inflation was 39 PSI front and 37 PSI rear. This yielded 33.8k total miles with the poorly rated OEM Bridgestones (UTQG 400 vs 780 for the CS4).

P.S. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!

I have the CS4 T rated on my car. I put them on in July and have 6k on them right now. Pretty good tire. Theyre quiet and have a smooth ride.

I just purchased the CS4 for by 2009 Sonata V6 (front wheel drive). My wife and drove to Snowshoe Mtn. in West Virginia in a snowstorm. The tires were fantastic! People were getting stuck and spinning out all over.. not with the CS4s.

**I will be putting the CS4s on my 2006 Civic next week!

So far, we love the Cooper CS4s! Very quiet and smooth ride in a 2009 Sonata V6. They handle MUCH better than the overrated and overpriced Michelins that came with the car.

For all the Michelin fans out there... every time I purchase expensive Michelin tires, I always regret it. I have had Michelins on 2 Accords and an Acura. They never handle well for a "premium tire". Buy American, save money and enjoy better handling.

**I have also owned cheap Coopers on my 1988 Accord when I was 17 years old... terrible tires back then. The quality has improved tremendously.

I've got 20K on the P4s on my 97 Camry and like the tire a lot. It's hard to tell how they're ultimately going to do mileage wise, but they have a good ride, handle well and are quiet. If you've got Discount Tire in your area, for $6 or $7 more per tire over the Pirellis, you can get the Michelin Destiny. Having owned both, I'd give an edge to the Destiny over the P4 even at the slightly higher price. Right now, DT has a $70 rebate on a set of 4 Michelins. I'd choose the Destiny if it fits your budget.

We have about 4K miles on out T rated CS4's on the Passat. I have been very impressed with them. Priced right, very quiet and smooth, easily balanced, great traction dry or wet and no noticeable treadwear at all after 4K miles. Even if they don't come close to the 70K mileage waranty I will still consider buying them again. An added + is they are made by fellow hard working American's from Ohio!

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
the cs4's on my wife's caliber are the best passenger car tires i've ever owned!

I read lots of reviews like this! Happy to hear it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back