Can I use 5W30 instead of 5W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were surprised Ford (who has called for 5-20 since 2001) called for it on a 2012 car? You surprise too easily.

I'd use the 5-30 till it's gone. But.... for at least the first change or two I'd use 5-20 and get a receipt with that on it and the date I did the change. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Just curious because we are on this topic, but if an engine calls for 5w30 would it be a problem to use 5w20? Any downfall or disadvantages to this?

Sometimes. What is the car? Better yet, start a new thread. Many, I'd say the majority of 5-30 cars made over the last few years are back specd to 5-20 (Honda's, Toyota's, Fords... no GM's though).

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Just curious because we are on this topic, but if an engine calls for 5w30 would it be a problem to use 5w20? Any downfall or disadvantages to this?

Sometimes. What is the car? Better yet, start a new thread. Many, I'd say the majority of 5-30 cars made over the last few years are back specd to 5-20 (Honda's, Toyota's, Fords... no GM's though).

Grand Prix with a 3800. I have a Grand Prix and a 2010 4 cyl Accord and it would just be nice to use the same grade of oil in both cars

Let me tell you what happened when I used my stash of $1.79 5W30 Trop-Artic Semi-syn in my 5W20 spec'd Duratec30/MZI.

Nothing.

I didn't even see any significant change in fuel economy when I ran out of my stash and switched to 5W20.

Originally Posted By: civic09
Yes, and I say this cause' at my work we only use 5W30 oil in ALL of our fleet. Cadillacs and others also that are luxury get the 5w30 too.

a.v.

And on the other side of that coin, there are many many people who have run 5w20 in their 'fleet' without any problems.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
You were surprised Ford (who has called for 5-20 since 2001) called for it on a 2012 car? You surprise too easily.

I'd use the 5-30 till it's gone. But.... for at least the first change or two I'd use 5-20 and get a receipt with that on it and the date I did the change. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I've never owned a Ford before. Up until now I have always been a Chevy guy.

I usually try not to second guess auto maker's engineers. They tend to know alot more about engines then I do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
being in the engine business i will tell you that if that were mine i would use 5w20 for a number of reasons first of all that is what ford tells you to use and second 5w20 is usually a better oil...

I always say this... But... If you know more than the company that built that engine all the power to you..
Can you use 5w30? sure...is 5w30 better for your engine? no!

+1

Originally Posted By: deven
Does the manual say REQUIRED or RECOMMEND. If it says recommend and has a temp chart, use the 5w30 with no issues.

Good point!

Aren't they both just 5-weight oils, with the difference being that the 5W30 will continue to flow like a 5-weight up to a higher temperature before it begins to shear, i.e., where single weight specs would call for a 30-weight (as opposed to a 20-weight)? It's my understanding that for multigrade oil, the 5W represents the cold flow rating, and the 20 or 30 represents the temperature limit at which the oil will still continue to flow like a 5-weight before it begins to shear, as measured against the rating SAE would call for in a single weight. Thus, the 5W30 would theoretically be the same as a 5W20 (a 5-weight), but work just as well over a wider temperature range -- up to the temperature where SAE would recommend a 30 weight single grade. And it's my further understanding that the reason such wider multigrade ranges are disfavored is that in order to achieve the wider range, the oil has to contain less base stock and more polymers, which break down faster. Therefore, although a 5W30 would appear to be a better choice, since it will work over a wider range of conditions, that is offset by the fact that the oil will actually break down faster. If true, that would tend to suggest that there is no practical difference in regular use, but Ford is more concerned that car buyers are going to exceed oil change intervals than the possibility that their cars are going to reach temperature extremes needing higher grade oils. I assume anybody visiting this website maintains regular oil change intervals, negating that issue, so the real question is whether the 5W- is as safe as the 10W- Ford used to specify, and not the 20 vs. 30 question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SamSnyder
Aren't they both just 5-weight oils, with the difference being that the 5W30 will continue to flow like a 5-weight up to a higher temperature before it begins to shear

No, they're 20 or 30 weight oils. The first number simply represents how much the oil thickens over its ideal temperature when it's cold. The second number is the weight of the oil in operation.

This may help your understanding on the subject:
http://www.ideas4ag-ed.com/uploads/3/7/0...l_viscosity.pdf

Originally Posted By: TravsRam
I usually try not to second guess auto maker's engineers. They tend to know alot more about engines then I do.

I'm certain they know more about the engine than I do. I just have no insight into WHY they make certain decisions. Most people like to run with the premise that all engineering decisions are made to insure the longest life for the engine. That may not always be true.

pushrod why would you run 5w30 which makes the bearings run hotter than the 5w20 which also flows faster all the time?

Yeah the approx 3 cSt thicker oil @ 100c, will cause the bearing temps to soar by 500* or more...

In the real world it isn't going to make a measurable difference...

If it were me, I'd see if I could trade the QS 5w30 for 5w20 at your local Walmart or other part's store.

There is simply going to be no real benefit in running the 5w30 over the 5w20 and why risk voiding the warranty?

Personally, I'd use 5W-20 for warranty reasons alone. I doubt there is any technical reason you can't use a 5W-30, though I have heard that drain holes in Ford engines have been smaller within the last decade...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I have heard that drain holes in Ford engines have been smaller within the last decade...

More I-net wives tales, if drain holes were a issue how could there be proper flow when oil is cold and 20x(or more) times thicker than when hot???

Possibly voiding the warranty would be the only issue, though a guy over on the Crown Vic board bought a '08 Police Interceptor with unknown history from ebay that turned out to have a bad engine, his dealer warrantied it...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Personally, I'd use 5W-20 for warranty reasons alone. I doubt there is any technical reason you can't use a 5W-30, though I have heard that drain holes in Ford engines have been smaller within the last decade...

Ha. Posts such as this are amusing. Smaller oil passages. Oh man that's hillarious

Originally Posted By: TFB1
pushrod why would you run 5w30 which makes the bearings run hotter than the 5w20 which also flows faster all the time?

Yeah the approx 3 cSt thicker oil @ 100c, will cause the bearing temps to soar by 500* or more...

In the real world it isn't going to make a measurable difference...

Its come to using fear tactics to push thin oil? seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back