Stop SOPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CL is down too!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
^ wait a little, link will appear on the bottom.

Thanks i see that now..

I can see how it would maybe bring some security online but taking away all of this would be outrageous and i'm against it!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
I can see how it would maybe bring some security online but taking away all of this would be outrageous and i'm against it!
mad.gif

"taking away all" Taking away what?

Against what?

Apparently, the folks against PIPA and SOPA are pushing OPEN. Administered by the ITC. Not sure if that's any better or worse.

By the way, you can find Wikipedia pages by using Google Cached pages. Perhaps the internet "Way Back Machine" works as well. I've not tried that one today.

I find SOPA/PIPA sickening. I've called senators, sent probably 50 emails total. Everyone who uses the internet should be concerned, and against SOPA/PIPA. I certainly don't want the entertainment industry (MPAA, RIAA etc) controlling the internet.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I can see how it would maybe bring some security

Big Brother always offers security.

The worst part is, it wouldn't even be "big brother". It would be music labels, movie studios, the MPAA and RIAA, who get the say. All they have to do is complain that a site is "infringing" and bam, it gets shut down. That means that if one of BITOGs users linked to a youtube video with a song on it, Helen would be held responsible for deleting it. That would mean that every single post would have to be screened. On every website. All the time. Because under the current DMCA, the sites are not held responsible for users posting stuff, as long as they make "a reasonable effort to remove it".

The entertainment industry wants this bill to pass, so people will maybe go see a few more hollywood movies. And they use these ridiculous claims of how piracy kills jobs. They are assuming that every single person who downloaded a song, movie, or game, would have purchased it otherwise. That's false, because most people who downloaded it would not care enough to buy it otherwise. So they are massively inflated numbers.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
I bet there are atleast couple of them on BITOG
smile.gif

In case someone didn't know what a heck are those:

Rules 1 & 2 dude. =\

Originally Posted By: daman
CL is down too!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

How mad would you be if BITOG was shut down? With the way the current SOPA legislation is written, if I cut and pasted a portion of say, a copyrighted product data sheet, and posted it here and the company didn't like it, they could get BITOG shut down on the mere ACCUSATION that what I did was a copyright violation.

SOPA is extremely over reaching. Now do you understand why these companies are doing this 24 hour shutdown? Well, they;re showing you what the internet would become if SOPA becomes law.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: daman
CL is down too!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

How mad would you be if BITOG was shut down? With the way the current SOPA legislation is written, if I cut and pasted a portion of say, a copyrighted product data sheet, and posted it here and the company didn't like it, they could get BITOG shut down on the mere ACCUSATION that what i did was a copyright violation.

SOPA is extremely over reaching. Now do you understand why these companies are doing this 24 hour shutdown? Well, they;re showing you what the internet would become if SOPA becomes law.

My life would go on,did i say i don't understand?

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I can see how it would maybe bring some security

Big Brother always offers security.

The worst part is, it wouldn't even be "big brother". It would be music labels, movie studios, the MPAA and RIAA, who get the say. All they have to do is complain that a site is "infringing" and bam, it gets shut down. That means that if one of BITOGs users linked to a youtube video with a song on it, Helen would be held responsible for deleting it. That would mean that every single post would have to be screened. On every website. All the time. Because under the current DMCA, the sites are not held responsible for users posting stuff, as long as they make "a reasonable effort to remove it".

The entertainment industry wants this bill to pass, so people will maybe go see a few more hollywood movies. And they use these ridiculous claims of how piracy kills jobs. They are assuming that every single person who downloaded a song, movie, or game, would have purchased it otherwise. That's false, because most people who downloaded it would not care enough to buy it otherwise. So they are massively inflated numbers.

EXACTLY NICK!
01.gif
The intended consequence of SOPA is that in order to even use copyrighted material with fair use, they'd want you to pay for it.

It would be akin to you having to pay the New York Times if you gave your friend a copy of the paper you purchased, to read it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
EXACTLY NICK!
01.gif
The intended consequence of SOPA is that in order to even use copyrighted material with fair use, they'd want you to pay for it.

It would be akin to you having to pay the New York Times if you gave your friend a copy of the paper you purchased, to read it.

More like, if you gave a copy of the new york times to your friend to read, you get arrested and sent to federal prison. Yes, if you upload a song onto youtube- under sopa you CAN BE ARRESTED, and sentenced to a minimum of 5 years in federal prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back