What to lubricate seat belt buckle with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The release buttons on my truck's front seat belt buckles don't work as smoothly as they used to. They haven't jammed yet, but it seems like they could benefit from some kind of lubrication.

What would be safe to use and how should it be applied? It has seat belt pretensioners, so I don't want to go spraying the buckle down with whatever and possibly get a seat belt light or mess up the pretensioners.

German Castrol green stuff works best.

Good question I was wondering the same. Awaiting responses.

Fluid Film? I dont know,I would be afraid of anything attracting dirt and jamming the mechanism.

I would use a dry lube, like some of the gun lubes that dry completely, so that it doesn't attract dirt or get on the belt (causing staining and potentially weakening the belt...).

I used some 3-in-1 Dry Lube with PTFE recently for a similar problem.

The driver side seat belt buckle was gummed up out of no-where, maybe a spill I didn't realize? Anyway, I used this and let it sit over night. Since it's been 90% better. I'll be doing it again later. Now the passenger feels bad compared to the driver side.

I also used the aforementioned product on the locks for the door, improved it well.

Good call!

Here I was thinking it was me just getting older and fatter!

The seatbelt in my truck seems to randomly let go of my buckle. Kind of unsettling.

Going to try to lube it... and I think I need a new bottle of Silicone spray!
banana2.gif

Thanks for the tips. I need more silicone spray anyway, so I'll probably give that a try. Might also get some dry lube too though and try that on the passenger side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back