"Lifetime Fuel Filter" B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just picked up a 2009 Ford Focus to use as a commuter car. As I do with any vehicle that I don't know the maintenance history, I went through and started replacing every filter and fluid I could find.

I get through the front half of the car and move to the fuel filter. I search and search and search.. can't find the thing. Come to find out I'm one of those lucky few with a "lifetime fuel filter."

Personally, I can't believe this [censored].

But I'm done belly aching about their mistakes and I would like to do something about it. Question is: what?

I would like to add a fuel filter to the car. There is a rubber line that comes out from the tank which I think I can tap into.

My concerns are:

1: PSI. What do I run that ensures I don't blow the filter out and having a time bomb on my hands?

2: Flow. I don't want to burn out my fuel pump by running something that doesn't flow enough.

I'm open to suggestions. I added a Wix filter/base to my diesel pickup, but it runs at no more than 18psi and has a very strong after market fuel pump.. both things I don't have with this car.
smile.gif

All opinions and suggestions are appreciated.
smile.gif

The actual filter is probably built into the fuel pump/sending unit,any auxiliary filter AFTER that wont be helping the original screen/filter...

Yes.

I commute about 600 miles per week. I plan on keeping this one until it becomes too expensive to repair should any problems come up.

I hope for close to 200k before I switch to a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The actual filter is probably built into the fuel pump/sending unit,any auxiliary filter AFTER that wont be helping the original screen/filter...

Whats the micron rating of that filter?

The fuel filter is probably part of the fuel pump assembly like on many modern vehicles. I would not add another filter in line with the present one because any filter will add addition resistance to fuel flow. In addition; if you do add a filter, the first one in line will load up first so nothing is gained. JMO.. Ed

+1
Lots of new cars have the fuel filter built into the fuel pump.
You never replace the filter, just the entire pump assembly when it goes out.

Yeah, I know. It stinks.
Kind of like sealed transmissions.

Reminds me of cars built in the 80's that had obsolescence engineered into them.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Not much you can do.
Splice in a filter somehow? But what and where?

That's exactly what I'm asking.
smile.gif

I know the where for the most part. I'm looking for some help on the what.
smile.gif

I see part number 2L2Z 9155-AB, Fuel Filter through WorldPAC. Made by Forecast, supplier for CarQuest. Retails for 39, for a 2009 Focus 2.0 SE. Sometimes theyre up by the firewall

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
I see part number 2L2Z 9155-AB, Fuel Filter through WorldPAC. Made by Forecast, supplier for CarQuest. Retails for 39, for a 2009 Focus 2.0 SE

The parts store had one also. Mine is a second build 09.. So I get awesome things like a trunk release and outside temperature, but I don't get awesome things like a replaceable fuel filter.

Trust me. I looked everywhere. There just isn't one.

If u are wanting to go that far as splicing in your own filter...I'd say don't LOL...primary reason being the high pressure
smile.gif
. Checks jegs.com and see if they have a "fuel catalyst" available for your car...it seems to be new.technology and sounds real good on paper but jot sure exactly how good it works
smile.gif
all else se jthe preventative.route and use a good UCL in the fuel

What's the typical efficiency rating of a fuel filter that's integrated with the fuel pump? Perhaps an in-line filter would be have a batter efficiency rating or filter to a smaller micron level, similar to using a Magnefine in-line transmission filter; in-pan filters are usually rock strainers in comparison. I recall reading that even the best in-pan filters do not filter lower than 80 microns, unless I'm mistaken?

Look up one for a ford truck that mounts on the frame rail.. The one like my 95' 3.0 Ranger should work

IMHO you don't need to replace those in-tank fuel filter. Chances of it clogging up is far lower than you thought(far lower than you run your fuel pump dry and burn it out).

Q.

And the next dumb question, is this a returnless fuel line system? One where fuel pressure is modulated by the pump itself, and no return line to the fuel tank is needed?

If so, that lifetime fuel filter is seeing much less flow than older vehicles. No fuel bypassing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back