milky white engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
!?what do ya think? guys!?

Condensation or blown head gasket?

So today I was checking the engine oil dipstick, and was horrified!!!! The oil was milky white! Having read articles on oil analysis milky white engine oil= coolant into the oil. So I panicked and did some research then I found out to check the oil filler cap and indeed It was covered with white sludge inside.

Now I'm confused cause it says that white residue in the oil filler cap is normal depending on weather conditions and miles driven, but milky white oil in the dipstick is not normal.

So here's the breaKdown: I drive a total of 4miles a day for 5 days. Weather here in NY has been in the low teens lately. I got an oil change switching to synthetic about a month and a half ago also got the cooling system flushed about a month ago, neither one at that time showed any signs of any kind of trouble, plus weather was much warmer then. engine oil was still a good color when I changed it. The stupid *** that changed the coolant changed it to the green one, which I might be changing it when it warms up when I discovered that the Jeeps called for a specific coolant. I ruled out the coolant because it is a green color, also coolant level has gone down to the add mark Eversince it's gotten cold but rises somewhere in the middle when warm. although a while back I've noticed at times bubbles rising in the coolant resovoir as it it is draining somewhere, I don't know if its normal. Is it? There seems to be normal exhaust coming out the tail pipe not thick white smoke. engine doesn't show signs of overheat, lastly I'm broke for the moment and can't take it in the shop For a compression test and I need to drive it to get my errands done.

So my questions are does this point in the direction of condensation and can I drive my car worry free, without the need to change anything or fluids or take it in to a shop? I always follow what you guys way instead of getting mislead by a mechanic. I have a 2005 GC Jeep 4.7 V8

Probably just condensation.

Combustion makes alot of water as a byproduct and if your engine doesn't get warm enough it will get into the oil and stay there until you burn it off.

This is a common thing when driving vehicles in cold weather and not allowing them to get up to temp for extend amounts of time.

I would take the jeep on a long drive, or get the engine up to temp, nice and hot, to burn off the condensation and see what happens. If you do, get the engine HOT! This might mean "beating" on your car a little bit but if it clears up some you know condensation was the problem.

Last edited:
If your coolant level isn't dropping, then I'd feel comfortable saying the water is combustion byproducts. Keep a close eye on that coolant bottle!

Go for a 100 mile drive and report back.

Also, any chunks or bubbles? One thing I have noticed about the green coolant is that it will show green on the bottom of the filler cap and around the oil fill area. I doubt you have a blown gasket, as others have said take it on a long drive and see what happens. watch the coolant level. I had a jeep that had the same engine and I have both had a blown gasket and the condensation you are talking about. I had to add coolant like nobody's business so I doubt the gasket is the case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Those 4.7's always put condensation under the oil fill cap.

I've heard of that, but the thing that has me confused its that it's in the oil as well, or what it seems like. because doing research on the internet it says under the filler cap is not a problem but when it gets to the oil it might be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Also, any chunks or bubbles? One thing I have noticed about the green coolant is that it will show green on the bottom of the filler cap and around the oil fill area. I doubt you have a blown gasket, as others have said take it on a long drive and see what happens. watch the coolant level. I had a jeep that had the same engine and I have both had a blown gasket and the condensation you are talking about. I had to add coolant like nobody's business so I doubt the gasket is the case.

There are no bubbles inside th coolant if that's what you mean, but I do notice that sometimes bubbles rise up in the coolant resovoir like its draining, somewhere. I never knew if it was normal, it seems like its draining somewhere. I never had to add though, one thing I noticed about the coolant level is that as its gotten colder the coolant level has dropped to the add line but when the Jeep warms up it goes up between the add and full mark which I read was normal.

As mentioned,it looks like condensation,take it for a long highway trip and recheck the oil a couple hours later. Keep an eye on the water level if you continue to add coolant to keep full that will tell you you may have other issues.

HA! I see you live on JF too, under a different username!
smile.gif

Bubbling in the reservoir is a bad sign. Do as already suggested and take it for a long drive. Try to evaporate whatever is in the oil and keep a close eye on the coolant level. Not much more you can do for now.
Be sure to keep a gallon of coolant or water with you just in case.

I had cars in the past when living in the cold North East that gave me that white stuff in the oil. Caused by the engine not getting hot enough, even when driven a lot. I changed the thermostat to a higher temp thermostat, and it fixed the problem. Back then, it was easy getting to the thermostat. Now, it is much harder getting to the thermostat, plus cars now already use a high temp thermostat.

You may want to change the thermostat anyway as the one you have in there now may be defective.

To the OP:

Did you see this thread I posted a couple days ago?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2494176#Post2494176

My girlfriend's 2000 Beetle has the 2.0, an engine known for the very same issue your Jeep is having. The condensation builds up much more in the winter and it's made worse by short trips.

My GF's commute is only around 2 - 3 miles a day round trip. The gunky foam builds up really bad in the oil filler neck and inside the valve cover.

Last winter it got so bad the oil was contaminated and milky, same as yours. I panicked thinking it was a head gasket for sure. But, I changed the oil and kept my eye on the coolant, which never went down or got contaminated with oil.

Don't panic yet. If you didn't have synthetic in there, I would say change the oil and see what happens. But, I'd also hate to waste that synthetic oil. I'm on board with others who say to just drive it on a trip. My GF did this when her oil was contaminated and it partially cleared it up. I ended up changing it, because it still didn't look great.

it easily takes half an hour+ for oil to match up to engine temp, and longer to get the water to evap.

Moisture enters with outside air through positive crank ventilation, and then condenses during cooldown. The condensation combines with combustion byproducts into acid (remember acid rain?) which the oil has additives that sacrifice themselves by oxidizing, to protect the engine metals from acidic reaction instead. THAT is why oil changes color, btw.

So... long run time should evap it all off. you can also dbl-check the PCV valve to make sure it is breathing properly.

I've seen several volvos that looked like that, too.

M

Littke shade tree trick. Many people will say dont do it its bad. But real simple test takes 1minute to do and will tell for sure. Dab your finger on the oil and put a drop on your toungue. If it tastes oily your good if its oily and sweet not good. It wont hurt anything to do it and then you can be sure.:) I've done it plenty and no negative effects yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back