Sams club 91 octane or conoco 87

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the sams club discount, these fuels are the same prices at around 3.18/gal The conoco is top tier and sams club I have no idea. The 87 conoco is Ethanol free. The 91 doesn't say it contains any ethanol, so I dont think there is any but im not 100% sure on that.

Which one would you run in your vehicle? Vehicle I'd be using it in is the ecoboost.

Last edited:
What does the OM call for?

I'd likely base it upon MPGs if you saw a difference, but all things point to the Conoco so long as the OM is ok with it.

The Ford manual says the EcoBoost can benefit from premium fuel in hot weather and or when towing otherwise it recommends 87. IMHO I would go with the Conoco because you know it is ethanol free, unless you are towing a bunch.

Last edited:
If the ECU will benefit (or prevent detonation) at an and all load points while using a higher octane, then a higher octane would be the only thing I used.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
If the ECU will benefit (or prevent detonation) at an and all load points while using a higher octane, then a higher octane would be the only thing I used.

It will benefit for sure. The injector pulses are used to cool down the charge according to varying parameters (including knock), the wording in the manual indicates to me that I would get all the performance I paid for if I used 91 or higher.

FYI, there are ECU flashes that only reduce the conservative fuel/timing maps to reflect less emissions friendly ones...typical HP is upwards of 100hp.

+1 the car knows to cut back spark and increase fuel spray to cool the lower octane combustion. Do 3 tanks of each and Ill be the 91 gets better fuel efficientcy. Id throw an injector cleaner in there once in a while with the cheaper super also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back