Need help quick! 2003 Honda CRV Transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have been doing some extensive reading on this website, very informative people and seems like a great community
smile.gif

I have a 2003 Honda CRV Automatic Transmission 4 wheel drive.

I have read everywhere that I have to use the Honda brand ATF-Z1 or the ATF-DW1.

I drained the transmission by accident (dont ask) and I want to top it off with the correct fluid but Honda is closed and I need to get back to school tonight.

Is it safe to throw in any other brand ATF?

Thanks guys, sorry I am a newb and my first post is a thread..

Some foreign car parts places carry OEM fluids. Place near me even sells the DW-1 for a few bucks cheaper than the dealer, too!

Will adding one of these multi-vehicle ATFs to the current Z1 act as a permanent fix for the meantime? Or is this just a temporary solution?

Thanks for the replies btw, i really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: aga080
Will adding one of these multi-vehicle ATFs to the current Z1 act as a permanent fix for the meantime? Or is this just a temporary solution?

Thanks for the replies btw, i really appreciate it.

Yes the two can be mixed permanently, according to the people who make the multi-vehicle stuff.

Check CarQuest if you have that chain local to you. I was in there the other day and they carried Toyota and Honda specific OEM ATF and Antifreeze fluids.

Wait, you drained the transmission without buying the oil that you will be replacing it with? Is this common practice?

But anyways, Valvoline Maxlife ATF will be a good replacement for DW-1

Originally Posted By: Mau
Wait, you drained the transmission without buying the oil that you will be replacing it with? Is this common practice?

I think he removed the transmission plug thinking it was oil plug, if he was changing the oil. Some cars have the two plugs close together.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I think he removed the transmission plug thinking it was oil plug, if he was changing the oil. Some cars have the two plugs close together.

I strongly doubt it, Honda's for sure stamp on the pans near the bolt if its an engine oil drain bolt (with an arrow!). Plus the two bolts are different, transmission drain bolt you have to put a ratchet's head right into the bolt where as the engine oil drain bolt will require I believe a 17mm socket.

It's up to you whether you want to stick with it long term. I have used MaxLife ATF long term without issue, but I can't say I've done any scientific testing to back it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I strongly doubt it, Honda's for sure stamp on the pans near the bolt if its an engine oil drain bolt (with an arrow!). Plus the two bolts are different, transmission drain bolt you have to put a ratchet's head right into the bolt where as the engine oil drain bolt will require I believe a 17mm socket.

+1; however, I wouldn't put it past a first-timer, not knowing the difference. I can see looking under a Honda for the first time, picking what looks like the lowest point on the "engine," loosening a nut and thinking to yourself, "Bingo" when what looks like the correct fluid starts coming out.

The OP did say not to ask, so it seems he's aware of his mistake.

OP, what did you end up going with? You had to leave that night, so you had to have made up your mind by now, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back