Wiper Blade Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried every brand of wiper blade under the sun with the exception of the Bosch Icon to stop my wipers from the unbearable chatter and somewhat less of a problem skipping.I am starting to think it may be the washer fluid i'm using. The orange colored Rain X.I don't recall it being an issue before i started using it. I have tried cleaning the blades with vinegar,2propanol,and simple green at different times. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Aside from not using fancy washer fluid such as RainX (the yellow type known to cause all kinds of problems like forming films and causing chatters, etc.), I typically wash down the front windshield with dishwashing liquid, and occasionally de-wax it with window glass scrubbing compound.

Some cars, due to windshield profile, will naturally have a higher tendency to chatter...You just have to keep trying different brands of wiper blades until you find one that works.

Q.

You may have to do "something" to get the rain-x off, like cut it with cascade or TSP mixed with water.

IDK what exactly, so do some research, but there's a way to cut down to "clean" again.

Also if your wiper arms are bent out of parallel with your glass you can get chatter on either the way up or down.

I have had excellent results from using the Valeo Smart Blades that I purchased locally from Sam's Club.

VALEO Smart Blade

They are actually better than the Bosch ICONs, which are a close second, but much more expensive. I just started using the orange Rain X washer fluid with no problems so far, but I think the yellow Prestone DeIcer fluid works better in the winter.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Also if your wiper arms are bent out of parallel with your glass you can get chatter on either the way up or down.

X2

Quote:
If new wipers chatter, that means the glass is not clean/smooth. Plain and simple.

Not sure about that. On my car the driver's side is much worse than the passenger side, and I have swapped blades, tried various new ones, and tried various washer fluids, cleaned the windshield with various things, etc. I did find that the winter Prestone fluid made things worse than Rain X or the purple stuff from Peak. I also found that if I do a Rain-X treatment on the windshield it is better for a day or two. But, I still get pretty severe chatter on the driver's side unless it is raining hard. My theory is that it has something to do with the pressure on the wiper being different on the two sides. Strangely the cheapest blades seem to chatter less than the more expensive beam-type blades, but the cheap blades aren't as good at clearing the window.

Last edited:
I have never had any luck with Rain-X fluids but their wiper blades are OK. +1 on scrubbing the glass with Bon-Ami, Barkeeper's Friend or No-Scratch Comet powder. When I do that I like to use an old semi-worn out kitchen sponge, the kind with the scrubby surface on one side. The cleanser and sponge will clean the glass very well.

You might try treating the rubber blade with spray silicone (not WD-40). I spray mine every so often and it helps keep the rubber soft and pliable, they last longer, run smoother and quieter, plus a clean soft blade does a great job of cleaning the windshield. Prestone or Liquid Wrench is the best brand of spray silicone I have found for treating my wiper blades. I have to treat them about once a month in the spring and summer, the Florida sun is murder on my wipers.

I forgot to mention that i have also installed new wiper arms thinking they were worn and tension was an issue that didn't help.I will try cleaning with some of the items mentioned and check into the Valero blades. Thanks for the suggestions.

used these on my jeep for the same issue and they worked great, can be had a napa for fairly cheap. they actually look cool to boot. i had also replaced the arms thinking that was the issue with no results.
wiper arm tensioner

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
If new wipers chatter, that means the glass is not clean/smooth. Plain and simple.

Not sure about that. On my car the driver's side is much worse than the passenger side, and I have swapped blades, tried various new ones, and tried various washer fluids, cleaned the windshield with various things, etc. I did find that the winter Prestone fluid made things worse than Rain X or the purple stuff from Peak. I also found that if I do a Rain-X treatment on the windshield it is better for a day or two. But, I still get pretty severe chatter on the driver's side unless it is raining hard. My theory is that it has something to do with the pressure on the wiper being different on the two sides. Strangely the cheapest blades seem to chatter less than the more expensive beam-type blades, but the cheap blades aren't as good at clearing the window.

Beam blades do not exert pressure as evenly as the metal frame ones do. The benefit is that they do not clog with ice and debris. Chatter is more likely on a beam.

i stopped using water as windshield washer fluid and replaced with supertech windshield washer from walmart. My blades do not streak the window anymore.

you can try spraying the wiperblade with silicone spray to moisturize it.

4ever4d,

Any alcohol type procuct on the wiper blades will clean them well but, will dry the rubber making it hard and chattery against the glass especially when it's colder outside.

Here is one thing that I have done to help eliminate the chatter of wiper blades. I only notice the chattering when the wipers age(over 1 year) and when it colder outside. I wipe down the rubber wiper blade with ammonia on a paper towel. This treatment helps the rubber stay more plyable but, doen't last forever either. Needs to be applied often as the wipers will chatter again. Ammonia keeps rubber more plyable than any other product that I have ever used in over 40 years. Wipe it on and leave it(don't rince)

Most likely, your ready for new blades? How long have you had 'em?

Some people have great success with any wiper blade. They install 'em and leave 'em on for years without issues.

I love the "NEW" Rain-X Latitude and Repel beam style wiper blades on all 3 of our cars. Best wipes I have ever used. BUT, now they too have started to chatter as the rubber has lost it plyability especially now that it's cold outside.

I have never found a wiper blade that will last forever, no matter the cost. Maybe silicone? But, silicone and dry glass don't work well together. The windshield needs to be wet for silicone to slide well. Silicone doesn't slide well even over slightly wet glass. Even with a light mist it's iffy! Every time silicone hit a dry spot, it sticks/rubs/grabs. Rubber just works better on even dry glass or that fine mist. Other members may dissagree!

Loose joints int he wiper actuating system will cause chatter, also.
It is a Royal pain, but a teardown and lube of all the joints and pivots can help. Of course replace what is needed.

+ on the Bon-Ami for a good scrubb'n clean start.
Rain-X Latitude has lasted me longer than most blades I tried

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
used these on my jeep for the same issue and they worked great, can be had a napa for fairly cheap. they actually look cool to boot. i had also replaced the arms thinking that was the issue with no results.
wiper arm tensioner

Yeah, I'd like to find those too! I always thought about something like this. I'll have to see if NAPA in my area has'em in stock for our vehicles.

Try this..
Take some masking tape and put it on the middle of the wiper arm so it doesn't get scratched then take a small adjustable wrench and twist the arm ever so slightly.
You may need to try twisting it one way or the other because i forget which direction is for chattering going left or right. This works like a charm every time and cost zero dollars.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Clean the windshield with Bon-Ami and your problem will be gone, it cleans the glass like nothing else.

I haven't tried Bon-Ami before, but I had previously tried Bar Keepers Friend, toothpaste, dish soap, etc. to remove Rain-X, and NOTHING worked. Then I bought this stuff from ACE Hardware (online, I don't think they sell it in-store) called GS8 Auto Glass Stripper. Two applications of this stuff = no more Rain-X. It's the only thing that's worked for me. FWIW, I hear that some auto glass shops are willing to re-buff your windshield also, which should fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back