BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
This tire remains popular and seems to be a good performer, and for as long as I can remember, I recall the name and same tread pattern for this tire (though the "KO" may have been added more recently). How did this tire model manage to survive and continue to be popular for so long? Anyone know the story on this? How different were the original All Terrain T/As from today's?

Just something that's been in the back of my mind for a long time.

Been wondering the same thing as I've been looking for new tires for my Tacoma. There seem to be a lot of good AT tires out there, but the BFGs seem to have remained very popular and are tempting to run with.

robert

They are a decent tire and wear like iron. However, much of the popularity of the tire remains from its reputation. There are many other newer AT tires that get better reviews and ratings now.

For a very similar tire, check out the General Grabber AT2. Similar tread but much cheaper to buy.

The tread pattern (and likely the tread compound as well) changed a little bit with the KO designation. These tires are popular because they're extremely good and well-rounded all-terrain tires (har har!). They're reasonably quiet on the road, reasonably capable off-road, and reasonably puncture-resistant. You can get tires in similar sizes that is better at any of the above, but very few offer the combination that the KO does. They also last a long time as well, so their TCO represents a decent value for light truck owners.

For what they are, as good all-terrain tires, they excel. Ive gotten 90k out of a set of these. Add the fact that the KO classifies as a snow tire, and its even better. Has some harmonics on the road, but Ive never noticed them getting worse like some tires.

Really just cant beat them...

Cause they are good, my friends all run them on their 4wd's and they seem to last 50k-70k miles.

They really seem to bite in the snow quite well.

Great all- around tires...over 25K on a set on the 4 Runner and hardly any wear...great traction off-road, liveable on the street, good in all conditions.

Very similar to the previous generation BFGs...can't really see the tread difference...but they're among the best, so why change that formula?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Really just cant beat them...

I disagree. I've owned more than one set of the BFGs. Last set was 2008 IIRC. IMO,they're riding on reputation.

I've ran the following A/Ts and liked them all better than the BFGs.

Toyo Open Country A/T
Toyo M55
Nitto Terra Grappler
Hankook ATM RF10
Goodyear Silent Armors

BFGs would be way down the list of A/Ts I'd purchase today.

My experience with the T/A KO is that they have long life, are great off road, good in fresh snow. Suck when dealing with ice or slush.

Ed

antiquated offroad nice looking tread pattern = looks good doesnt perform on road .. esp in winter.

still very good offroad but will fill up with mud relatively easy

there are better aggressive designs out there like

cooper S/T
discovererST_small.jpg

that have better tread designs

oh the bfg's also are considered tough tires.. as far as off-roading.

IMO if you need tires for a weekend warrior and you dont have snow-ice(on road) traction as a priority these may work for you.

+1 on the toyo Open country A/T definitely a sleeper tire.

Good tire at good price.

Last edited:
Interesting that these have lasted so long. I found on the BF Goodrich South African website the first version of these were introduced in 1976!!!
shocked.gif

I can't think of any other car/light truck tire model that has been around as long as this one.

What I find interesting is that I don't find many folks saying "stay away from this AT". My impression is that generally speaking our AT tire options are all pretty decent. I'll probably either go with BFG or Michelins.

robert

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
You get what you pay for.

I didn't.

Personally thought the BFG's were the worst tire I've ever had on a truck. Won't EVER run them again, don't care if they're given to me.....definitely not worth the money, there are newer improved tires for much less and much better traction.

Cooper's have come out with a new a/t design as have Hankook, etc.

I ran a set 90,000 km about 12 years ago and I was very happy with them.

Good in all conditions including snow.

12 years ago they were more in line with other tires also. Tires have advanced in that time.

I still felt they were overpriced in 2002 when I was in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back