Any real harm to using Prestone Dex-Cool in Dodge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the system was well flushed and the fluids are not mixed, would there be any real harm to running the Prestone 5/150 Extended Life Coolant (Dex-Cool Approved) in a Dodge pickup? I had my system flushed an filled, and the goons put this stuff in without my knowledge.

It supposedly meets MS 9769, which is the Chrysler HOAT coolant spec, so I'd think it was ok.

Should be no problem. Meets all the specs and is backed by Prestone to be compatible with any long life coolant. sleep well.

Originally Posted By: mark pruett
Assuming the system was well flushed and the fluids are not mixed, would there be any real harm to running the Prestone 5/150 Extended Life Coolant (Dex-Cool Approved) in a Dodge pickup? I had my system flushed an filled, and the goons put this stuff in without my knowledge.

It supposedly meets MS 9769, which is the Chrysler HOAT coolant spec, so I'd think it was ok.

what truck/car?

If your Dodge did not originally specify Dex-Cool, you could have problems down the road. You didn't say what year vehicle is, but since you said HOAT, you most likely need G-05.

With Dex-Cool, there could be some incompatibilities with your engine seals; particularly, your head gasket. GM learned the hard way after specifying Dex-Cool in their vehicles that silicone gaskets are incompatible. This eventually lead to "sludging" of the coolant system and cylinder head gasket leaks. Expensive engine/coolant system repairs.

BTW, Dex-Cool is not a HOAT. Silicates are required in some engines in order to prevent water pump damage (cavitation, OAT coolant systems use a different pump design) and in some cases cylinder wall damage. Stay away from most of the Prestone/Peak antifreeze stuff.

2005 Dakota w/3.7l v6. I suspect that the guy at Pep Boys just matched it based on color (Dodge HOAT = orange = Prestone Dex Cool)

I'm a little baffled as to how it's not good enough if it meets MS9769- that is the Dodge spec, isn't it?

Shows what Pep Boys knows.They probably dont sell G05 anyway...that would be a Zerex product.If they had Prestone,they probably had that "one fits all" product.I would consider that a bit safer than Dex Cool.Besides,the Dex should have said "GM Dexcool" on it,I guess the Pep Boys kid (Manny Moe or Jack?) thinks Dodge/Chrysler is GM owned....

There shouldn't be any issue as long as the dodge hoat was flushed out good. Dodge oem hoat is pink, I think, and zerex g05 is yellow. From what I've read the issues w/ dexcool have long been resolved, so unless you're driving a vehicle w/ a factory fill of the [censored] dexcool you should be fine. The name brand dexcool coolants like zerex and prestone shouldn't cause any problems in a flushed system.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
He said they used Prestone 5/150 Extended Life Coolant... If it is all makes all models, then you are fine.

You're right, looks like we all need to work on our reading comprehension. It appears only you and dtownfb caught that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mark pruett
2005 Dakota w/3.7l v6. I suspect that the guy at Pep Boys just matched it based on color (Dodge HOAT = orange = Prestone Dex Cool)

Which would be incorrect. Chrysler HOAT is G-05 which just happens to be orange/pink in color. So Zerex G-05 generally sold or available on order from Napa, or Motorcraft Prem. Gold from Ford would be suitable. Go with whichever is less expensive.

DexCool and Prestone All M/M Long Life (Universals) both use the active ingredient 2eha. If your gaskets are compatible with 2eha might be ok to use with a total flush. But, I'd stick with the G-05's mentioned above for safety. Your call.

The potential problem with using Dexcool, Prestone and Peak All makes all models extended life and long life or whatever they want to call it and the store brands which are all Dexcool, is that air in the cooling system can lead to gumming. A pressurised surge tank or reservoir will solve that. The other potential problem is Dexcool can be slightly more agressive with some gasket materials but I dont think that will be an issue in most any late model vehicle.

Prestones Dexcool extended life formula and bottled under their all makes label and Supertech and other hosue brands seems to have an even greater prospensity to gum than Havoline and Zerex's version. But Prestones is much more easy to find and more common.

Fwiw, I used Peak Long Life (universal) in my Altima for some time with had a standard recovery tank, and never experienced any gelling or sludge. Radiator stayed very clean. I've read the non pressurized/pressurized tank theory, just wasn't my experience with regular system maintenance.

I'd be more apt to try/use an All Makes/Models coolant in an Asian vehicle than I would a vehicle like Fords that spec G-05. It can still be found in a concentrate fairly reasonably. And, while Ford is planning on a switch to Dex based coolant in the future, they are not changing all their vehicles over at one time or back spec'ing that I know of. Must be some reason for that.

But, no disputing the All Makes AF's are the majority coolants now sold and the least expensive.

Not saying Dexcool is guaranted to gum up over night if you use it in a cap on radiator system. But the potential is certainly there. Dexcool won't gum up as long as the radiator stay full, the cap and reservoir sipons fluid back in properly and there are no leaks. It also helps if the engine is not appreciably higher than the radiator.

It's not just a theory that Dexcool can gum up if air gets in system without pressurised reservioirs. It's been seen many times in shops while models with pressurised reservoirs do not. The gumming potential is one of the reason Asian manufactures stated for rejecting it and developing their own.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Prestones Dexcool extended life formula and bottled under their all makes label and Supertech and other hosue brands seems to have an even greater prospensity to gum than Havoline and Zerex's version. But Prestones is much more easy to find and more common.

Blue Super Tech Concentrate Coolant is made by the same company Prestone uses; Honeywell.

White Super Tech Pre-mixed Coolant & Water is made by the same company Peak uses; Old World Industries.

Have you ever seen Prestone AMAM or Super Tech gum up or for that matter any antifreeze WITHOUT contamination? The ONLY time I have ever seen this is when too many sealer tablets are used.

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man

Blue Super Tech Concentrate Coolant is made by the same company Prestone uses; Honeywell.

White Super Tech Pre-mixed Coolant & Water is made by the same company Peak uses; Old World Industries.

Have you ever seen Prestone AMAM or Super Tech gum up or for that matter any antifreeze WITHOUT contamination? The ONLY time I have ever seen this is when too many sealer tablets are used.

Yes I've seen Prestone AMAM gum up within a few months in cap on radiator systems that did not gum on the FF Havoline formula. Anytime the coolant level drops and the vehicle is ran for a few month these dexcools seem to always gum up to some degree. They never seem to gum on the vehicle with a pressurized surge tank, or if the radiator is always full of coolant, the pressure cap on the radiator works properly (siphon fluid from the reservoir) and there are no leaks.

Yes I've seen Prestone AMAM gum up within a few months in cap on radiator systems...

Next time you see it, please post pictures with background information. I have a couple of Chevys parked outside using capped radiators with unpressurized over flow tanks and neither have any gumming issues. Both using Super Tech and distilled water.

You just don't seem to want to beleive it. There's plenty of pictures already on the net of what Dexcool does in cap on raidiator systems when air gets in. That's fine with me if you don't believe it.

I didn't know about the gumming concern of AMAM back two years ago at the time when I was changing the water pumps on my 2 beaters. Flushed then filled both of them (94 Chrysler 4.0 and 97 yota 1.6) with that stuff.

The coolant still looks clear and clean. Is it possible the gumming was due to running it out to long?

Still, I'll keep an eye on it.

@mechanicx - You said you saw gumming with Prestone AMAM and Super Tech. You can't change the subject to Dexcool, lol.

@gomes512 - Don't sweat it, but it is always a good idea to drain the radiator and over flow and refill them with 50/50 or 60/40 coolant and distilled water every couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back