Anyone seen Maxlife Antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Valvoline about its availability and if its a 2eha coolant. I haven't seen it here in FL and they indicated I would probably have to order it through my local supplier if not in stock.
Valvoline also said it's not a 2eha coolant.

Several years ago when the MaxLife ATF and Oil were coming to market, I did see the MaxLife Coolant at my AutoZone too but, only for a short(couple of years)time.

Recently(about 1+ years ago) I did see it again but, at BIG Lots(closeout store) for about $9 or $10 a gallon IIRC.

I never really knew anything about the MaxLife Coolant. Reading the back label of the jug doesn't tell'ya anything of value!

Last edited:
Valvoline seems to not take into consideration shelf space. It takes a lot of shelf space for...

- Valvoline Oils.
- Zerex Asian, Dexcool, G-05, and original coolants.

And they were wanting more space for the Max Life products.

Here is what Valvoline sent me. The first part about Maxlife Dex/Merc and viton seals for my c7500 Allison 2000 tranny.
The second part is about the Antifreeze. They recommend Dexcool for the warranty period because of my gm trucks.

Email Response:
"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support.

Valvoline recommends the use of our MaxLife Dex/Merc Automatic Transmission Fluid for the Allison transmissions that require the Allison TES-389 or Allison C-4 specifications. The fluid has been tested and is 100% compatible with the Viton seals that are used in transmissions requiring the previous listed Allison specifications.

In answer to the second part of your question the Valvoline MaxLife Antifreeze/Coolant is not a 2EHA coolant and is only recommended for flushes on vehicles that are out of their factory warranty. The Zerex Dex-Cool Antifreeze/Coolant is a 2EHA coolant and would be recommended until the warranty of the vehicle expires. Either of these two coolant products are available through automotive parts retailers, if the product is not stocked at the retailer of your choice please ask to order. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL for assistance. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline and have a great day.

Thank you,

Valvoline Product Support"

I'm Pretty pleased with Valvoline's timely responses to any email question you send them.

"In answer to the second part of your question the Valvoline MaxLife Antifreeze/Coolant is not a 2EHA coolant and is only recommended for flushes on vehicles that are out of their factory warranty."

That's a bland answer. MaxLife coolant is the old green technology we all us to use. It is not a long life coolant like Dexcool or or other extended life coolants.

I was under the impression the Maxlife coolant was G-05. If it is not Dexcool with 2EHA then odds are it is either G-05 or original American Green.

From what little bit I could tell that might be original Green formula rather than G-05vbut with a yellow dye that won't clash with other coolant colors.

I'll send them another email and see if it's an extend life coolant.

Maybe if you asked if it has phospates or nitrtites that would help narrow it down. Original green usually has phosphates and no nitrites, but G-05 has nitrites and no phosphates. They can call anything extended life like they started doing with original Green.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Maybe if you asked if it has phospates or nitrtites that would help narrow it down. Original green usually has phosphates and no nitrites, but G-05 has nitrites and no phosphates. They can call anything extended life like they started doing with original Green.

This is what I asked them in my most recent email: "Does the Maxlife Coolant contain any silicates, phosphates, borates, nitrates or amines. And it is it a extended life coolant and does it provide the same diesel protection that G05 does?" We will see what they say.

Pepboys used to sell Maxlife Antifreeze. I used it in my 89 Firebird way way back. Never had any rust or damage or anything.. but it was green. I'm sure it just had more antirust addtives or something of that nature.. but I can't find it anymore.

Originally Posted By: 3311

This is what I asked them in my most recent email: "Does the Maxlife Coolant contain any silicates, phosphates, borates, nitrates or amines. And it is it a extended life coolant and does it provide the same diesel protection that G05 does?" We will see what they say.

Here is the response they sent to the question above:
"Most Recent Update:

Thank you for your question. The MaxLife Coolant contains each of these additives that you have mentioned, except for the amines. Please note that Valvoline recommends the universal use of the MaxLife Coolant for all makes and all models of vehicles designed to use an ethylene glycol based engine coolant after ASTM D3306 and the product is suitable for use in gasoline and diesel applications, however it is important to note that the product does not contain Nitrites for complete diesel protection as the actual OEM recommended coolant or Zerex G05 in some cases. This coolant is simply produced to provide the customer a safe use of a coolant for universal use after the vehicle is out of warranty, however we strongly recommend that you follow and use the recommended coolant specified for use in your vehicle if possible."

I will say I give Valvoline/Ashland an A+ with regard to responsiveness.

So it has silicates, phosphates and borates but no nitrites. That plus its high pH from the msds you posted earlier settles it. It is definitely conventional Green formula with a different dye color like I suspected. They sort of suggested it had nitrites but then said it does not contain them. BTW no coolants contain amines anymore.

I agree with Ashland that one should use the recommend coolant specified for the vehicle, and that conventional Green formula is more of a universal coolant than say Prestone AM/AM. Thanks for getting the info from Ashland 3311.

So it has silicates, phosphates and borates but no nitrites. That plus its high pH from the msds you posted earlier settles it. It is definitely conventional Green formula with a different dye color like I suspected. They sort of suggested it had nitrites but then said it does not contain them. BTW no coolants contain amines anymore.

I agree with Ashland that one should use the recommend coolant specified for the vehicle, and that conventional Green formula is more of a universal coolant than say Prestone AM/AM. Thanks for getting the info from Ashland 3311.

I just cut an pasted my question from PGL site/pds, thats why I asked about amines. If it is the redyed old green formula that must be why they said it is compatible after a complete flush.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back