Returned a broken Craftsman ratchet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

A few months back I apparently got a bit too aggressive with my 3/8" Craftsman ratchet wrench, resulting in some of it's internals braking and falling out.

I've never had to return a Craftsman tool before today.

Real easy, but the replacement wrench I got is a complete joke compared to what I had. It looks/feels like something you'd get out of a grab-bin at Harbor Freight! The Salesman basically opened up a drawer full of oily refurbished tools next to the register and handed me a "new" one, with a receipt rubber-banded to it.

I guess I can't complain too much, given the wrench I broke was at least 20yrs old and I've been light wrenching for ~30yrs!

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
The Salesman basically opened up a drawer full of oily refurbished tools next to the register and handed me a "new" one, with a receipt rubber-banded to it.

That's how it is at our store also. If they don't happen to have any refurbs, they'll pull a new one off the shelf. It doesn't build much confidence in the product if they have that many refurbs, and apparently have that much continual demand for replacements.

I've had to replace 3 of the 1/4" ratchets before and 1 of the 3/8" ratchets. I still have my original 1/2" ratchet. This has been since about 1996.

Easco/KD used to make Craftsman tools,the current owner "Danaher" ceased KD socket/ratchet production a while back.I bet its because they lost the contract for making Sears tools,due to Sears wanting offshore made Craftsman as opposed to (some) made in USA.

Yeah, my old one was a nice round-head, heavy, smooth handled job.

The replacement is a thin, tear-drop head with sharp edges.

Not so bad given we can keep returning broken ones until Sears is no longer!

Joel

Is your replacement made in China or the US? They tried to replace my US-made one with a Chinese one recently and I refused to take the swap.

It's stamped "U.S.A. T2X 44808", so I suppose that's pretty good considering.

Joel

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Craftsman tools used to be better, in general [hand tools].
But the warranty is still the best!

Yeah, too bad they are closing a bunch of Sears, makes the whole warranty exchange a bit more difficult with no Sears/Kmart/Osh nearby.

Had similar thing happen to me back in '04 when I broke a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet replacing the alternator on my old Accord. The exchange ratchet was a dented rusty handled one. I questioned this and was given a take it or leave it answer from the Manatee behind the counter. I thought other places like Autozone and Home Depot offer replacement policies no?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The amazing thing is-Harbor Freight always takes a BRAND NEW Pittsburgh tool and exchanges it, no questions asked!

What a bargain! Exchanging off-shore junk for NEW off-shore junk!

Speaking of Craftsman. I have a wirecrimper/wirestripper and it has "Sears" on it.... STILL works very well.... Wonder if it can be replaced under the "craftsman" warranty.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The amazing thing is-Harbor Freight always takes a BRAND NEW Pittsburgh tool and exchanges it, no questions asked!

What a bargain! Exchanging off-shore junk for NEW off-shore junk!

Sad isn't it? What's sadder is Sears is exchanging made in
America with offshore junk now.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Had similar thing happen to me back in '04 when I broke a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet replacing the alternator on my old Accord. The exchange ratchet was a dented rusty handled one. I questioned this and was given a take it or leave it answer from the Manatee behind the counter. I thought other places like Autozone and Home Depot offer replacement policies no?

I lol'd at this after my previous post. Manatee

Sears new table saws are nothing compared to my 1970's version. Its 40 yrs old but constructed way more HD- industrial... Oh! I have a broken 1/2" Snap-On sitting in the box that I need to return.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What's sadder is Sears is exchanging made in
America with offshore junk now.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Sears new table saws are nothing compared to my 1970's version. Its 40 yrs old but constructed way more HD- industrial... Oh! I have a broken 1/2" Snap-On sitting in the box that I need to return.

My 3/4" drive Snap-On has a broken tooth. I've been too lazy to get it fixed. That, and I rarely use it and it still works fine.

It is over 60 years old though.

Originally Posted By: PRND3L
Moral of story: fix the old ratchet if you can!

I think the only way I could have, was with a donor unit for parts.
frown.gif

The shaft for the 'forward/reverse' dial mechanism sheared right off.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back