AL 1 1 2 3
CR 1 1 3 1
FE 46 65 140 23
CU 2 3 7 3

Lead 2 2 8 3

Tin 0 3 0 4
Moly 80 6 10 58
Nickel 2 2 4 1
The rest is OK, including silicone at 2, which is super for the dirty conditions in which this unit is run .
The oil at 155 hrs was Rotella 15w40
I cut the OCI in half in an attempt to "flush" some of this iron
Then the oil was changed in the last sample to Rotella 5w40 (MN winter)
This unit has 11000 hrs, and was never opened up to date.
The question is, where to go from here ?
Cold starts are great with the syn.
Could it be the moly this unit likes ?
But the cost here for it is at $22/gal, and I am considering changing the entire fleet over, mainly because of ease. And the newer equipment generally calls for either syn oil, or lighter viscosity.
And I would rather stick to one oil if possible
Is there a cheaper/better alternative out there ?
Or have I found it ?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a better cheap alternative to Rotella 5-40, and even though you have a pretty limited sample there I would say it's doing a better job than what you were using. At this point (11,000 hours... wow) FE should be linear with hours.

If there were a less expensive alternative it would be 15-40 HDEO, which is what I would assume you were using before?

I'm not sure why your wear is so far above universal, do you do a lot of small tasks?

I use the Deere Plus 50 II in all of my diesel equipment, they do offer a 0w-40 for your cold climate, and yes it does cost more than what you are using now up front. For Deere equipment, using Deere filters the claim is 500hrs. OCI. When you figure the cost of the Plus 50 vs. the cost of what you are using now I think you will find its cheaper over the course of the entire OCI.
Your FE does seem high for only 130 hrs.

Another option is 10w-30, but that probably doesn't fit into your "one oil" choice you want, or maybe it does depending on what your other equipment is speced for.

My local dealer has a couple of pallets of the CH-4 speced 0w-40 Plus 50 for about 21 bucks a gallon, it may be worth your while to check into what you have available locally.

Have you tried the Plus50 John Deere oil? There was a member here that was using it with excellent results in his Ford diesel pickup. It has a very stout add pack, and supposedly it's not too expensive.

(edit: hmm looks like the previous poster beat me to it!)

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

I would say that, depending upon your OCI plan, there is indeed a good low-cost alternative.

Consider the Rotella T5 in either 10w-30 or 10w-40. The 1ow-30 has essentially the same cold-start properties as the 5w-40 T6, for less cost. The T6 is a great product, but if you don't run it long enough, you're wasting money. I also have seen very good performance out of the JD50 that roadrunner suggests.

It's a matter of ROI; can you use any fluid (regardless of construction) long enough to get decent service and not break the bank? That is the correct approach to finding what works for your situation.

The goal is to set condemnation limits for your wear metals and contaminants, and then see which lube choice gives you the best "bang for the buck".

The 0w40 has possibilities. As does the 10w40
However the 10w30 may be a little thin under heavy loads.
The skidsteer manual recommends 10w30, and also lists 0w40 syn.
The syn may help the turbo with frequent starts and stops.
Brons2, I have the bitter sweet joy of owning a Ford 6.0 as well
Another thing to consider is that the tractors have oil capacities of only 2 to 3 gallons.
Hence my former strategy of reasonable priced quality oil, and change often.
Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back