Reccomendation for a good cylinder head repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I am putting together a stoker 409 for my fathers hot rod. Got a set of the 425hp factory iron heads. These have 3/8ths rocker studs in them. Back then the factory pressed them in and pinned them in place. My local machine shop is hesitant to take them out for fear of breaking one off. The holes the factory drilled in the studs are large. I want to put 7/16th screw in rocker studs in it so I can put roller rocker arms on it. Anyone know of a good cylinder head shop that deals with these sort of vintage performance heads that I could contact? Thats all I need done. I can grind the valves on my old Sioux machine and do the seat job myself.

Go to the 3rd page in the pictures section and view " cylinder head repair". I weld repaired this Robert Yates head for a local automotive machine shop that does racing and street engine work. They are very good at what they do. If you need phone numbers, PM me and I will get back to you.

I don't know why they are afraid, even if one broke its not a big deal to drill it.
I use to remove these with a stack of washers and a nut.
Remove the stake pins, heat the base where the stud goes in with a torch and tighten the nut on top of the washers, it will come right out.

Yeah I was surprised by this as well. The guy builds IMCA and stock car motors all the time but is afraid of a Chevy W motor. I dont know if they are just scared of screwing up a somewhat rare set of heads (These have never been on a motor, they are NOS from GM in the mid 60's)

Realistically there is nothing they could do to damage the head, just treat them like any other.
I would either do it my self or find an old timer. This was a common and easy job back then and its no different now.

This dude is an old timer and the guy that works for him is not much fresher. Im gonna try to convince the old man to let me have at em.

Without a doubt you should call Ladd's porting Services. 410-799-1763

7443 Washington Blvd.
Elkridge, Md. 21075

They have been around for many years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back