PureOne Oil Filter- How Good? How Many Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do extended drains on my synthetic oil. I have used the Fram XG 10,000 filter several times. Currently using Mobil 1 EP and have for last 3 fills and next change will be a Napa Platinum because they were on sale. I have done many OCI at 6,000 to 8000 miles, closer to the higher number. So my question is, was the PureOne built or designed to go that far? You can assume my engine is very clean since it's been synthetic most of its life.

Last edited:
I've used them to 10,000 miles. I cut a couple open. The media gets pretty wavy in my application, but no holes. Uoa came back fine, but then again I've ran supertechs out to 10,000 miles. On those the adbv is [censored] but uoa is fine. You're fine.

Yes, P1 can do it.
I am running P1 with PP in my Axiom right now. I already have 2K on it, and I plan to run it for another 4 months/5.5K miles, whichever comes first.

I contacted Pure about this a while back. Their response was that the Pure One is not a long distance filter and should not be used more than 4-5000 miles before it is replaced.

The other filters the OP mentioned are all good for extended drain intervals.

If your engine is clean of sludge and your driving condition is not severe than almost any oil filter will lasted 10-12k miles or 1 year.

I had been using oil filter for 1 year or 12-14k miles in my '94 LS400 with more than 270k miles without any problem, even the cheapo Pep Boys Proline I got FAR a couple years ago do well for 12-13k miles. The cartridge oil filter in my E430 with more than 130k miles was in excellent shape after 10-12k miles OCI, the filter media was clean of debris that I can see, it could be used for 2 OCI of total 20-25k miles, but I changed it out because I have many in stash.

The filter capacity is more than 5-6 grams of debris and some as high as 12-15 grams, if your engine sheds more than that amount in 10-12k miles, it is in its last stage anyway.

Of the 2 filters, air and oil, air filter is much more importance than oil.

Cool. I'm so tired of running these 13 dollar filters and pulling them off at 6 or 8,000 miles. I'm not confident and pulling a filter off and putting it back on ( re-using ) to get my money's worth.

~8k if done in 1 year or less, in a well maintained vehicle, no problem for P1. Most any filter will do a 5k/6month OCI.

Done several ~7k/1year OCI's with a P1 in a Honda.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
~8k if done in 1 year or less, in a well maintained vehicle, no problem for P1. Most any filter will do a 5k/6month OCI.

Done several ~7k/1year OCI's with a P1 in a Honda.

On my car that filter will be off in 4 months, I do 8 thousand miles in 4 months.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I contacted Pure about this a while back. Their response was that the Pure One is not a long distance filter and should not be used more than 4-5000 miles before it is replaced.

This is right off Purolator's website:

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Link: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

So, what that says is if the car manufacture recommends a 1 year or 15,000 mile oil change for some reason, then Purolator is saying their filter will do it. It's right there in black & white ... don't know why every time someone calls Purolator's Tech Dept they end up getting a different answer.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

This is right off Purolator's website:

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Link: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

So, what that says is if the car manufacture recommends a 1 year or 15,000 mile oil change for some reason, then Purolator is saying their filter will do it. It's right there in black & white ... don't know why every time someone calls Purolator's Tech Dept they end up getting a different answer.
lol.gif

It's called CYA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back