MOOG lower ball joints grease question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I have a quick question. I just order two new LBJ's and two outer tie rod ends made by MOOG for my Lexus. The LBJ's have zerk fitting so I'm able to grease them but the tie rods are sealed with are ok. I read nothing but good things about MOOG, especially the "555" made in Japan stamp. All of my cars in the past has used sealed LBJ's, even the OEM LBJ's for my car are sealed, so this is the first time I ever encountered having to grease them on intervals.

To all who have used MOOG lbj's with zerk fittings, how often do/did you grease the joints? I plan on greasing them every time I go in for a tire rotation (5-6k), but I didn't want a situation where I put too much grease in and it pops the rubber seal. Maybe I need to grease every 10k...IDK?

Recommendations?? Thanks.

Once a year 10-15k should be fine. Some BJs have little vent flaps in the boot that will burp grease, others you don't want burping. Just enough to get a little bulge in the rubber seal will do.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Once a year 10-15k should be fine. Some BJs have little vent flaps in the boot that will burp grease, others you don't want burping. Just enough to get a little bulge in the rubber seal will do.
Thanks for the response. I haven't inspected them much, but I highly doubt they come with grease out of the box. Actually I don't think so because the zerk stem isn't even screwed in yet.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Thanks for the response. I haven't inspected them much, but I highly doubt they come with grease out of the box. Actually I don't think so because the zerk stem isn't even screwed in yet.

I got Moog tie rods and they are greasable. They were already filled with grease. The fittings weren't screwed in from the factory either.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

I got Moog tie rods and they are greasable. They were already filled with grease. The fittings weren't screwed in from the factory either.
How did you tell they were already filled with grease? I haven't taken them out of the package, but I do see where the zerk is suppose to be screwed in has a plug in that spot now. I'm guessing once I remove the plug and if greases shows up on the plug then it's obvious. If not, then I guess I would have to stick a needle/pick in there to confirm that they already have grease in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back