Castrol Syntec 5W-40, 5,591 miles, Audi Q5 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my wife's car and she has AudiCare. It's driven about 25 miles each way to work and occasionally on weekends. The drive to work is hilly and twisty so the engine gets a good workout. I did a uoa to help me decide if I felt comfortable going to 10k miles as Audi recommends. As I understand it, this dealer fill is regular Syntec 5W-40. After I took the sample through the dipstick tube, I added 1/2 quart of GC since it was a little low.

There was one oil change before this at 5k miles. IMO, the si and al is probably still from wear-in and the shearing to a mid 30 grade probably isn't all that unusual for Syntec 5W-40.

UOA by Oil Analyzers Inc.

Comments: Lubricant and filter change is suggested if not done at sampling time; Infared results indicate that NITRATION is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; Aluminum is at a MODERATE LEVEL; Abrasives (silicon/dirt) are at a MINOR LEVEL; Flagged data has been rechecked and reconfirmed.

Equipment make: Audi
Equipment model: 3.2L V6
Oil use interval: 5,591 miles
Oil capacity: 7 Qts.
Oil type & Grade: Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Make-up oil added: 0
Miles on unit: 10,760
Air filter: OEM
Oil filter: OEM
Overall severity of report = 3 abnormal

Code:

Iron 30

Chromium 0

Nickel 0

Aluminum 11

Copper 12

Lead 0

Tin 2

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Silicon 26

Sodium 61

Potassium 3

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 7

Antimony 3

Manganese 6

Lithium 0

Boron 14

Magnesium 18

Calcium 2096

Barium 1

Phosphorus 690

Zinc 811

Fuel % 1.9%

Soot
Water
Vis @ 100C: 10.7

TBN 3.37

Oxidation 14

Nitration 28 (abnormal)

Lube chg: No

Filter chg: No

I realize that this is only one uoa on a new-ish car, but would anyone keep running this to 10k miles?

35.gif

-Dennis

I would not run it 10K miles, nor would I run it 5 miles.......Not a fan of the Castrol Syntec 5W-40, way better oils that meet the Audi/VW spec out there.

lol.gif
The dealer that we bought it from (different from where we had the 5k oil change done) has the option of this oil or Total (or maybe it was Liqui Moly).

-Dennis

TBN is quite low and would not seem to run to 1, at which point you need to change the oil.

But why are you asking our opinion when the Comment already says:

"Lubricant and filter change is suggested if not done at sampling time"

Also: "Infared results indicate that NITRATION is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL"

Did you do a search to understand what this means?

It seems your wife's driving pattern / style is quite tough on the car. Buying a heavy German car with only a 3.2L engine when you're going to drive primarily on hilly terrain was probably not a smart choice.

Btw, you say that the dealer put in regular Syntec. In other words not to Audi spec?

If so, they've potentially voided your warranty and no wonder the oil is done at 5k and you can't take it to 10k!

I asked the question because I know there are folks here that always say to do what the manufacturer recommends. Just because I ask a question, does not necessarily mean that I do not know the answer to it, or that I have not already made my decision. I'm just trying to start a discussion.

I did not do a search to see what nitration means, although I am familiar with what it means. When OAI told me that I had high oxidation in my Forester, they did not account for the fact that high ester oils show high oxidation. Again, just starting a discussion.

By "regular Syntec" it is a 5W-40, as the title states, which meets Audi's spec, but some Audi dealers use Castrol SLX Professional.

Thank you for your feedback.

-Dennis

the 3.2L V6 has more then enough power to easily this car over the mountain top.

To answer the OP's question... I would continue to do short intervals like this (every 5k miles) until the engine finishes breaking in. Should be done in another 10k miles or so.

I wouldn't run this oil for 10k based on these results and taking your driving conditions into account. To maintain good engine health and cleanliness, if you choose to keep using this oil, 7,500 OCI's.

Maybe you could try Mobil 1 0w40. I believe it meets your engine's specs. Then, 10k OCIs should be do-able without any negative side effects to the engine.

Originally Posted By: Artem
the 3.2L V6 has more then enough power to easily this car over the mountain top.

Yes, I'm in Central NJ not the Rockies.
grin2.gif

-Dennis

I would definetly change the oil now.

Maybe on a broken in engine you could go 10k, but during break-in I would not push an oil right to it's limit.

I'll say it again, like a tired record...you paid HOW much for a top-line Audi SUV, and you're 'wondering about a $40-50 OC?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I would definetly change the oil now.

Maybe on a broken in engine you could go 10k, but during break-in I would not push an oil right to it's limit.

I'll say it again, like a tired record...you paid HOW much for a top-line Audi SUV, and you're 'wondering about a $40-50 OC?

Thanks. It's not about cost (and it wasn't much more than the H6 Outback Ltd we where looking at). See my comments above about following what the manufacturer says. I have to be more creative with my questions.
smile.gif

-Dennis

When your oil is in such bad shape, and the lab is telling you to change it, how could anybody reply "Yes go another 5k on it"?

It's not about asking creative questions, it's about asking valid questions!

What is interesting about this is that Audi say go 10k (do they or do they offer some other advice for break in?) but clearly it would not be good for your engine to go another 5k and the only way you've discovered that is because you did a UOA.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone advised to run this to 10k since it's what the manufacturer recommends. The first oil change is at 5k and then every 10k thereafter.

Man, when I post my Forester uoa's it takes two weeks to get this many responses!
lol.gif

-Dennis

I'd send the UOA to Audi to see what they say and get it into their records. You have abnormal readings at half the mileage interval with what you say is non severe driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
lol.gif
The dealer that we bought it from (different from where we had the 5k oil change done) has the option of this oil or Total (or maybe it was Liqui Moly).

-Dennis

Whatever option they have it is probably a better one.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
It wouldn't surprise me if someone advised to run this to 10k since it's what the manufacturer recommends. The first oil change is at 5k and then every 10k thereafter.

Man, when I post my Forester uoa's it takes two weeks to get this many responses!
lol.gif

-Dennis

In that case, run it for 10k miles and resample.

Maybe Audi is using the "Time release" technology with their oil filters or something and a burst of additives is about to be activated, to help the oil last another 5,000 miles because that's what it needs is some serious Help.
grin2.gif

I can't believe I'm the only one who seems to have the additive signature of Syntec 5W-40 memorized like I do...this isn't that oil! That is true assuming it has not been reformulated recently. Obviously I've spent way too much time on these forums. Haha. First I'd find out what oil they really used and decide if I if would use it in the future. If I decided yes, I would not go 10k miles on it but 6k miles seems fine. Keep an eye on cleanliness.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I can't believe I'm the only one who seems to have the additive signature of Syntec 5W-40 memorized like I do...this isn't that oil! That is true assuming it has not been reformulated recently. Obviously I've spent way too much time on these forums. Haha. First I'd find out what oil they really used and decide if I if would use it in the future. If I decided yes, I would not go 10k miles on it but 6k miles seems fine. Keep an eye on cleanliness.

This was a VW/Porsche/Audi dealer that we were trying out but we were not impressed with the service so we won't be back. What looks off here? Zinc and phosphorus look a little low. Almost look like they used Syntec 5W-30! I'll look for some other uoa/voa's.

It's still SM according to Castrol.com. Here's another uoa:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2483847&page=1
Lower calcium and higher magnesium than mine. It's also 12.27 cst's and you would think a 5W-40 wouldn't shear much farther than ~12. Hmmm, I think you're on to something!

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back