Burn rate of different gasolines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I have a question about the different brands of gasolines....Do they have a different burn rate based on it's quality??? I use currently ARCO gas and my brother uses Chevron gas. Does his gas consumption less than mine???

Durango

In all likelihood, comes out to the same pipe and or terminal. Maybe different additives, but nothing that would affect fuel mileage.

Difference in burn speed is between grades. An 87 octane burns quickly, while a 93 burns somewhat slower. Opposite of what you'd expect, but the 93 taking longer to burn allows high compression engines with valve overlap to do so without detonation.

Between companies (since they DO come in the same pipeline) I'd figure on less variation; however I know someone who gets their best mpg with Sunoco; so there may be some variation but nothing that's easily confirmable....and I'm sure the oil companies aren't telling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the different grades of fuel don't have a different burn rate. That is, premium doesn't burn slower than regular. It simply has a higher resistance to spontaneous combustion than regular gasoline has.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the different grades of fuel don't have a different burn rate. That is, premium doesn't burn slower than regular. It simply has a higher resistance to spontaneous combustion than regular gasoline has.

You are correct. There is no difference in burn/flame propagation rate between grades of consumer spec fuel. That would affect engine operation, and would not be allowed by the specification. There is lots of misinformation on this.

High octane racing fuel, say 110 octane, actually burns faster than federal spec fuel. That is because at high RPM, 8,000 to 9,000, the combustion event time is reduced and additionl power can be produced with a faster burn rate.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
High octane racing fuel, say 110 octane, actually burns faster than federal spec fuel. That is because at high RPM, 8,000 to 9,000, the combustion event time is reduced and additionl power can be produced with a faster burn rate.

We are talking about regular pump grade gasoline here, not racing fuel or AvGas. So their flame/burn rate is not applicable to us in regular/regulated consumer automotive sense.

As far as pump gas burn rate's concerned, it's federally-regulated in US to be the same across the board. The difference is in the fuel additives within.

Q.

A few years ago I was driving rather consistent routes and ARCO was the only gas that produced noticeable worse gas mileage (and this wasn't SoCal gas). Things might have changed. You need to try at least three tankfuls of each brand of gas in repeatable conditions where you keep close track of both gas mileage and gas cost per mile. Pls let us know the result.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
A few years ago I was driving rather consistent routes and ARCO was the only gas that produced noticeable worse gas mileage (and this wasn't SoCal gas). Things might have changed. You need to try at least three tankfuls of each brand of gas in repeatable conditions where you keep close track of both gas mileage and gas cost per mile. Pls let us know the result.

Remember that in most states gas is "UP TO" 10% ethanol.

My guess is that ARCO gas at that time had the maximum % in it while others had less perhaps none at all. The more ethanol content the poorer the MPG is.

Hi guys,

The reason I ask is because my brother just switched his gasoline brand from ARCO to Chevron and for some reason he told me he noticed he can go a little farther on one tank using the Chevron as apposed to when he used ARCO.

Cueerntly I use ARCO and once in a blue moon I might top off my tank using Chevron but in most cases it's always ARCO and I really noticed and difference. My brother drives a Caddy CTS and I drive a Impala SS. I think my brothers belief is all in his mind.

Durango

I was an Arco user many years ago, since I had credit card(s) with 5% cash back on gasoline I didn't buy any Arco gas for more than 10 years. Because Arco accept only cash and debit card.

No matter what the brand, if 2 stations recieve their fuel from the same tank farm distribution point, it is exactly the same product. There are few tank farms for a given area.

All tank farms recieve their fuel from the Colonial or Plantation pileline systems. These companies are owned collaboratively by the major refineries in Texas.

Where a difference can come into play is at the tank truck loading rack which is the point all additives are injected. A generic fuel will have little or no additive injected. A major brand will always have additive injected.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Hi guys,

The reason I ask is because my brother just switched his gasoline brand from ARCO to Chevron and for some reason he told me he noticed he can go a little farther on one tank using the Chevron as apposed to when he used ARCO.

Durango

If he does go farther on gas from one station versus the other, I suspect it is more likely to be a calibration issue on the pumps rather than gasoline quality.

No matter what the brand, if 2 stations recieve their fuel from the same tank farm distribution point, it is exactly the same product. There are few tank farms for a given area.

All tank farms recieve their fuel from the Colonial or Plantation pileline systems. These companies are owned collaboratively by the major refineries in Texas.

Where a difference can come into play is at the tank truck loading rack which is the point all additives are injected. A generic fuel will have little or no additive injected. A major brand will always have additive injected.

Jeff_in_VABch,

I read the info regarding all gas is basically thhe same except for the additives addeed before rolling out to the individual gas stations but according to my brothers Caddy dealer not all gas is the same.

In my car/truck I just use ARCO and put in a bottle of Techron every other month so that's my cheap way of adding additives. My next question is can a low grade gasoline be considered "TOP TIER" if one put in their own additives like Regane or Techron????? I mean isn't the quality of gas based on good additives. It appears to me it is. Anyway my question should be in another thread perhaps.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango

Jeff_in_VABch,

I read the info regarding all gas is basically thhe same except for the additives addeed before rolling out to the individual gas stations but according to my brothers Caddy dealer not all gas is the same.

In my car/truck I just use ARCO and put in a bottle of Techron every other month so that's my cheap way of adding additives. My next question is can a low grade gasoline be considered "TOP TIER" if one put in their own additives like Regane or Techron????? I mean isn't the quality of gas based on good additives. It appears to me it is. Anyway my question should be in another thread perhaps.

Durango

The answer is yes, a low grade federal spec fuel would be a "Top Tier" equivalent fuel with aftermaket additives.

Check this site:
http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Originally Posted By: Quest
As far as pump gas burn rate's concerned, it's federally-regulated in US to be the same across the board. The difference is in the fuel additives within.

Haha, that's a pretty neat "regulation" when nearly all hydrocarbon fuels have the same flame speed in quiescent stoichiometric mixtures.

Originally Posted By: morris
I can remember buying gasoline for 1/3 the price of the octane rating. Guess when that was.

About 1968, depending on whether or not you are implying Sunoco 104 (old school, at EVERY Sunoco station's pump, NOT the new, unleaded racing stuff, ONLY at racing fuel dealers/tracks) or not.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back