Honda Rancher ATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was speaking with my brother today. He has a 2010 Honda Rancher, 4x4. It is just under a year old and after dumping the factory fill after about 10 hours, he refilled with Amsoil motorcycle oil in the 10W30 flavor I believe. I'll be honest, I know very little about motorcycle oil or their lubrication systems. We just know to change it, and change it often, which typically occurs on a yearly basis. His ATV doesn't see a lot of hours.

With a quick search and some brief reading, I see were HDEOs' perform sufficiently in motorcycle applications, with the lack of friction modifiers. Am I correct in this comprehension?

We find nothing wrong with the Amsoil, but even with preferred customer pricing, plus shipping, the costs out weigh Rotella which is easily avaible at our Walmart and our oil hoard. I personally use T6 in the '86 Mazda and my brother uses T5 in his '96 S-10.

What it comes to, is Rotella, it its corresponding viscosity to the Rancher, sutible as a compliant engine oil in this application?

I'd wanna check the owner's manual to be sure, but Rotella is very popular with the motorcycle set. I use it in my bike and my ATV's. admittedly I run 15-40. but 10-30 is great also.

Last edited:
If i remember correctly the ranchers calls for 10w-40?

We usually run Honda GN4 in our rancher but only because we get it for free.

If i were to buy oil for it id use rotella 15w-40 in summer and 5w-40 synthetic in winter. maybe just run 5w-40 all year depending on my wallet.

After thinking about it a little further, I believe it is 10W40 as well. Again, we haven't changed it very much in the Rancer yet.

Anyone else have experience with HDEO in Honda ATVs?

Rotella t-6 5 w-40 all year round. It's perfect for your application and a very good oil. We use it in all our shared sump bikes with no issues. We have 2 older honda's and with this oil there hasn't been any issues with the older clutches.
I did however experience sone slip with delo hdeo. I wasn't aware of it at the time but apparently has enough moly to cause my older nighthawk's clutch to slip. I immediately rode it home. Changed the oil to the t-6 5w-40 and within an hour I couldn't get the clutch to slip anymore. Just some food for thought.

Looking in my 2010 Rancher owners manual I found this:

SAE 10W30 JASO MA recommended

Then there is a chart that shows other viscosities that may be used is certain temp ranges:

10W30 and 10W40 20F and up
5W30 10F and up
0W30 -20F and up

After the factory file I chose to run Amsoil AMO 10W40 in my Rancher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back