Mobil 1 10w-30HM 6,500mi 2000 Suzuki Esteem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Report Date: 1/5/2012

Make/Model: Suzuki 1.8L 16 Valve
Oil Type & Grade: Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W/30
Fuel Type: Gasoline (Unleaded)
Oil use interval: 6,500 Miles

Your Suzuki Esteem scores very well in this first report, with most metals reading at or below average levels even though you're running a fairly long oil change. Our universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine after about 3,200 miles of oil use, and since you're getting comparable wear after more than twice as long on the oil, it looks like your engine is running smoothly and has no mechanical issues developing. The oil was free from contaminants and the TBN was good at 3.9, indicating plenty of active additive remaining (1.0 is low). Nice one!

Code:

Miles on Oil: 6,500

Miles on Unit: 138,000

Sample Date: 12/22/11

Make up oil: 0

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 3

COPPER 12

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 72

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 4

BORON 46

SILICON 9

SODIUM 0

CALCIUM 1111

MAGNESIUM 637

PHOSPHOR 792

ZINC 828

BARIUM 0

Values Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 63.0 59-68

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.05 9.9-12.7

Flashpoint in °F 405 >375

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0 0

Water % 0
Insolubles % .3
TBN 3.9

TAN

ISO Code

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this report is legible...I spent hours trying to get it this good.......

Also...this has had a steady diet of mobil 1 EP since 58,000 miles and recently changed to the HM. Always PurOne filters...

Last edited:
The report is very legible and we appreciate your effort here warrior. This appears to be a good report on the Mobil 1 HM. I'm still having trouble getting used to that low calcium...also the zinc, moly and boron have been reduced (SN formula here I assume?). What is being used as a detergent in these new SN oils now that the calcium has been cut by half or more? I know the SN oils seem to be providing good UOA's but the add packs appear weaker to me.

This is the SL. Thats one of the reasons I switched to the HM. Purchased from Walmart 6 months ago. 5 Qt bottle. I agree with you about the ad packs. I could be wrong, but I thought that other UOA with this oil had higher numbers with Zn and Ph. I will look through some tonight....Thanks.

Previous UOA's also had a LOT more calcium...that's why I thought this add pack looked more like current SN specs. In any case the UOA is great...wouldn't hesitate to use it (and did in my PT Cruiser for almost 2 years before I sold it).

This definetly is the SN formula - the low Ca/ high Mg combo as detergent in the add-pack give it away.

All SN-spc M1 products show great UOA's....this one is no exception!

Is it possible they put SN in a bottle that had a fat "SL" on the back?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
With lower calcium, what is cleaning the engine?

The magnesium detergent.

The M1 HM oils use the same detergent system, just higher levels of zdp, hence the SL rating.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
With lower calcium, what is cleaning the engine?

The magnesium detergent.

OK... Did Mobil HM always have this much Magnesium?

No, they were using a lot of Calcium. The newer oils are use less metallic adds and surprisingly now using Mg, with less Ca.

Originally Posted By: warrior

Warrior,

This is certainly possible. I experienced this when I did a UOA late last year. Every quart of Mobil 1 0w20 I poured in was SM and the UOA with low calcium and high Mg told me that Mobil simply had left over SM bottles and put SN formula in them. I bought the quarts right around the switch from SM to SN.

See my UOA with 'SM' labeled Mobil 1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan

Warrior,

This is certainly possible. I experienced this when I did a UOA late last year. Every quart of Mobil 1 0w20 I poured in was SM and the UOA with low calcium and high Mg told me that Mobil simply had left over SM bottles and put SN formula in them. I bought the quarts right around the switch from SM to SN.

Nothing that company does surprises me. What's next. Maybe changing the formula to a group 3 and still calling it synthetic. The marketing definition vs the actual one leave a rather large grey area

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: GMFan

Warrior,

Nothing that company does surprises me. What's next. Maybe changing the formula to a group 3 and still calling it synthetic. The marketing definition vs the actual one leave a rather large grey area

Actually XM does have a grp 3 oil called Mobil Super Synyhetic. Here's the link.

http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils.aspx

These are excellent engines. I owned a 1.8L DOHC Esteem with a 5 speed that I drove for 160,000 miles. I redlined it every chance I got; absolutely bulletproof.

I drive mine like grandpaw. I want to see if i can make it to 200,000 + miles. im sure the motor will, not so sure about the rest of the car. Its just a low end car with a great engine. I love the car. Thanks for all the replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back