Castrol SLX Pro LL, 10302 miles, 2010 VW Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my latest oil report from Blackstone labs. They are good to work with, and quick on the results. I have filled the car with straight #2 diesel for about 85% of the fill ups when and where possible. Not much idling to speak of, but some city driving and short trips for sure. I have one more oil change left at 30K from V.W. then on to something different for oil changes. I might try Amsoil 5W30 Euro or stick with the Castrol if it stays good on the next report. If anyone is using something different with good results on this engine please let me know. Any recommendations and comments appreciated.

jettadec2011reportbitog.jpg

Like [censored] said. Your engine is maturing so wear numbers should continue to drop regardless of oil. I think this is why "experts" say wait until you've but some serious miles on an engine before you start UOAs.

I don't know much about this oil, but it seems like the TBN really is low; where does it start? If you look at some other HDEO (15w-40 dinos) they will hold their TBN really well. I've seen UOAs with TBN only down to 7-8 after 10k miles, even though they only started around 10-10.5 TBN.

I realize the metals are break-in, so not much to worry about at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If you look at some other HDEO (15w-40 dinos) they will hold their TBN really well.

For the newest edition of the TDI VW requires an oil that meets the 507.00 spec. All of these are low ash and 5w-30. The reaseon is, as I understand it, the particulate filter. VW specifies a 10k oci. I will not use anything other than a 507.00 oil, at least during the warranty period. The DPF will ultimately require replacement, when it gets full of ash. Projections I have seen say aroung 120k miles. Using a non spec oil could accelerate this.

I wasn't suggeting the use of 15w-40; my apologies if it came off like that. I was only showing an example of how some HDEOs hold their TBN well, with ULSD fuel. I was wondering where the TBN started for this SLX oil; I'm not familiar with it.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I don't know much about this oil, but it seems like the TBN really is low; where does it start?

507 oils start between 5 and 6.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back