Bolt Size For Drum Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the correct bolt size for the bolts that you would use to removal a stuck brake drum?

Someone said M8X1.25, so that's what I bought. No one seems to know for sure though. This would be for your import econobox application-- civic/corolla/yaris/prius/etc.

Thanks.

I bought a 2 pack of M8 x 1.25 by 30mm bolts with a 14mm head, at Lowes for $1.00 to remove the brake drums from a 2004 Honda Civic EX this afternoon. Worked like a charm. Screw them in by hand then one half turn each with the ratchet until its free.

That's what Subaru's used for the rear drums too. Their rotors had holes for them too. I found the bolts were good for one use, it really trashed up the threads on them, but I was using cheap hardware.

Merkava,

Drums can be difficult to pull off the lugs sometimes. You can bang on it with a hammer, etc. but using the bolts as jack bolts makes it fairly straightforward & certain.

A little more clarification for Merkava: Some Japanese-brand cars have M8-1.25 threaded holes in their brake drums for the purpose of using bolts to push the drum off the hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back