Pure One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Pure One, #PL20195 for The Beast today.

Fram 3614, Fram 3600, Fram PH8A and similar sized filters will fit The Beast. I have Mobils, Bosch filters, and such left in my filter drawer. The price at Pep Boys was cheap with 5 quarts Quaker State, all for $20.00 + tax.

I know it has been talked to death; this is a GOOD filter. I was just wondering if you think it will do 10,000 miles. From the looks of it, it can do so.

Your thought, please.

Yes, it can do 10,000 miles IF the engine is clean inside and you mainly do long drives (ie, the oil gets fully hot for extended periods).

Dirty engines and short trips will load up the filter faster, which means they should be changed more often.

Kinda depends on the oil used and the history of the app. I'd go 5,000 mile intervals to start, but that's just me being overly cautious. Not bad to spend $5 more bucks mid-OCI + any top off.

Purolator states there yellow P1's fully comply with the manufactures OCI recommendation,whether it's 3,000 or 15,000.

yes it'll do 10k

I'd say, if you do the 10k in a 1 year or less time frame, and your engine is well maintained, should be no problem.

So, if this is your normal OCI for the oil and driving profile, should be fine.

The Beast has a 1MZ-FE, it is tight and has no sludge. So this filter should do great. I have a ton of filters now, but this deal was great so I bought it.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
The Beast has a 1MZ-FE, it is tight and has no sludge. So this filter should do great. I have a ton of filters now, but this deal was great so I bought it.

I run the PureOne PL20195 on my '05 Tacoma (4.0L V6) ... pretty big filter and has good amount of media area in it. It's a nice large filter for that sized engine.
thumbsup2.gif

I have to say I used to really hate P1's. I have looked for reasons to hate them still but I have cut open many since I have been a member of BITOG and they have all held up extremely well under all sorts of different (sometimes rough) conditions. This filter can do 10k no problem in a fairly clean, well driven vehicle.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have to say I used to really hate P1's. I have looked for reasons to hate them still but I have cut open many since I have been a member of BITOG and they have all held up extremely well under all sorts of different (sometimes rough) conditions. This filter can do 10k no problem in a fairly clean, well driven vehicle.

i used to just grab the cheapest filter on sale but i was converted shortly after joining BITOG by the pictures also. it's a bonus that they have the best filtration out of all of the auto parts store filters

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. As it says on box. Now it also can goes as long as your recommended oil and filter change as stated in your vehicles owners manual if your still under warranty. I feel lot more comfortable with a Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1 EP, K&N, Napa Platinum, Fram Extended Guard, that are made for extended drain intervals. Why push a filter that isn't designed or manufactured for the longer O.C.I.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
When I queried Purolator about the PureOne, their response was that it should not be used for more than 5000 miles.

I got just the opposite response when i called(see above)these filters will easily do more then 5k,I've personally done it my self,and upon inspection they looked new,everything intact and operational.

Quote:
Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. As it says on box....

The key part is the 'or statement' here. Meaning the P1 is suitable for whatever the auto manufacturer's recommended OCI.

As for the misinformation sometimes coming out of the PRO, Purolator Response office, saying change it at 3-4k, it totally ignores the 'otherwise specified' part of the recommendation. I emailed and phoned the PRO some time back to get a clarification on the discrepancy with the website, and the rep couldn't explain it. For the record, he was not an engineer. Sad that the PRO has disseminating this information, but I'll go by what the website says.

I've used the P1 ~7k/1 year 5% MM OCI's in a Honda with complete confidence. I stick with my recommendation above.

EDIT. Glad to see that daman got an updated satisfactory information on the P1 OCI. I did email an engineer directly after talking to the PRO, perhaps they have been updated by the engineering dept.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. As it says on box.
The key part is the 'or statement' here. Meaning the P1 is suitable for whatever the auto manufacturers recommended OCI.

As for the misinformation coming out of the PRO, Purolator Response office, saying change it at 3-4k, it's just that, as it totally ignores the otherwise specified part of the recommendation. And yes, I emailed and phoned the PRO to get a clarification on the discrepancy with the website, and the rep couldn't explain it. For the record, he was not an engineer. Sad that the PRO is deceminating this information, but I'll go by what the website says.

I've the P1 ~7k/1 MM year OCI's in a Honda with complete confidence. I stick with my recommendation above.

Yes misleading, when i called i specifically asked if my manufacture recommends 10,000 mile OCI will your filter perform for that interval? the response was "yes"

so,,take it for what it's worth,my self i run these filters over 5k all the time and sleep good at night.

your cheapest ST will go 5k geesh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back