Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Originally Posted By: harry j
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Very nice,Harry. Why don't you go to Autozone and get 5 quarts of M1 EP and an M1 filter for about $35,on the next promotion, and see what she'll do?

I did try as you suggested some time ago. I just couldn't live with the valve train clatter or how fast the oil turned black. To be fair, M1 has gone through some formulation changes since then so I'm not against trying it again....as soon as my stock of AZO runs out
Sorry,Harry. Yes,the old M1 was .80 density, the EP I run is .85 density. I think the new M1 is about .86 density. I run 5-20 in my,"relatively","new",115,000 02 Accord V6. Stay safe.

Total miles 332,367
Miles on Amsoil AZO 0W-30 3,514
Amsoil Eao36 oil filter
Golden Eagle magnetic drain plug
2 Filtermag CT 3.2 magnetic filters

Blackstone lab report

Harry: Wear metals continue to read nice and low in this sample from your 1993 Civic 1.5L. The engine certainly has some miles on it, but it's showing no sign of slowing down. Potassium increased a little but it's not as high as we've seen previously. If coolant is getting into the oil, it's not a lot, isn't getting any worse, and doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Fuel at a trace won't hurt anything either and air and oil filtration look good. The TBN was a strong 7.0 and the ISO oil cleanliness code was a little cleaner than last time at 16/15/12. Steady as she goes.

Aluminum....4 PPM
Chromium....1
Iron........5
Copper......3
Lead........0
Tin.........2
Molybdenum..151
Nickel......0
Manganese...0
Silver......0
Titanium....0
Potassium...26
Boron.......91
Silicon.....17
Sodium......7
Calcium....3849
Magnesium..15
Phosphorus..735
Zinc.........777
Barium.......0

SUS Viscosity....63.3
cSt Viscosity.....11.13
Flashpoint deg f....385
Fuel %..TR
Antifreeze....?
Water %.....0.0
Insolubles %....0.3
TBN-7.0
ISO CODE 16/15/12

Particle counts for ISO Code 16/15/12;
>=2 Microns...757
>=5 Microns...280
>=10 Microns..77
>=15 Microns..30
>=25 Microns..7
>=50 Microns..0
>=100 Microns.0

Comment: The filtermag magnetic oil filters are lowering the elemental iron levels 40-50%

Harry, so you have two (2) filter magnets on both sides of the oil filter, basically a circle around the oil filter?

BTW, i might have mentioned it before but why such short interval?

Yes, I put one magnetic filter on top of the oil filter and the other one on the bottom. There is a slight gap between the two magnetic filters, less than a quarter inch I estimate.
I changed the oil more often than I need to for various reasons. For the most part, I enjoy doing it and like to get under the car to polish the undercarriage. In the past (and a bit now) I had antifreeze intrusion and trouble with gas in the oil.

Potassium is way high, and the oil has thickened a LOT for only 3k miles - I'd say you've got a coolant leak.

Here's something you may find interesting, the engine idle has increased 100 to 150 RPM since I started using the Amsoil AZO 0W-30 oil. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Molybdenum in the oil.
I just picked up a can of Moly and will mix some with the oil my next change.

Here's something you may find interesting, the engine idle has increased 100 to 150 RPM since I started using the Amsoil AZO 0W-30 oil. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Molybdenum in the oil.

Engine speed is computer controlled, so 'if' the moly reduced friction enough to cause a 100-150 rpm increase in idle the computer would adjust it down. What you might be noticing is an increase in cold idle speed [when you firts start it up when its cold] due to the colder winter weather. My van idles faster when I first start it in the colder weather than it did when it was warmer, by about the same amount you're seeing. OTOH you could have a problem with the computer or a bad sensor?

I'd also have a look for a coolant leak, which has nothing to do with what I mentioned above.

That's the slippery-ness of the synthetic doing its job
27.gif

grin2.gif

This is the most ridiculous set of UOA's in BITOG history and biggest waste of oil/$.

What! ?! Why?

Originally Posted By: buster
This is the most ridiculous set of UOA's in BITOG history and biggest waste of oil/$.

Ouch. Rather harsh. This is the next million mile Civic. It needs the oil changes.

Well dumping a 12 Tbn oil every 3k is silly. Get the coolant leak fixed then run AZO. Such a waste of expensive oil. And adding moly won't do anything.

I have OBD1 system, the idle is not controlled by the computer so the idle is not reset by the computer. The idle did go up 100- 150 RPM and I am pleased that it did. It was running around 600 RPM despite my best efforts to get it up to 750 RPM.

Well dumping a 12 Tbn oil every 3k is silly. Get the coolant leak fixed then run AZO. Such a waste of expensive oil. And adding moly won't do anything.

He can't fix the leak.

Out of $$ after the 3k OCI/UOA (with Particle counts) using the oil he chooses. (think how much $$$ EACH oil change with UOA/count is costing)
33.gif

One thing I'll say about Harry.

He is consistent....
48.gif

He could have bought a new engine lol.

Harry, you're better off with a cheap Oil.

Why worry, its not out of your pocket.

I have used cheap oil and didn't like how the engine ran.

Come on Harry.. We all know how picky those Honda Civic motors are on oil (and they don't last unless they get the "good" stuff) so what "cheap" oil(s) did you use?

When was this and what was the OCI?
whistle.gif

Bill

I have used cheap oil and didn't like how the engine ran.

smirk.gif

Back