Best line from Craigslist or Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your favorite line (or lie) from people selling small engine products (or other stuff) on Craigslist or Ebay? Mine is "it ran good last year; I think it just needs a plug". I'll look the item over and tell them if it ran last year they should contact the Vatican immediately as they were witness to "immaculate combustion"!

From Craigs-list a few monts ago, there was a low hours generator that they wanted full price for. Only ran a few hours but stoped running and they found out that they had not put any oil in it.

While back I saw an old Dodge Dakota on Ebay. I kid you not, from the description: "The interior is filthy, and it stinks." Ooh-oooh, can I buy it?
15.gif

John

In Maine if you bring your car out to an island it doesn't have to pass state inspection. So naturally clunkers are advertised as "makes good island car".

I tried marketing an old truck as "fit for the mayor of a small island" or anyone who wants to drive migrant workers around their farm.

Sadly, buyers take things too seriously.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
In Maine if you bring your car out to an island it doesn't have to pass state inspection. So naturally clunkers are advertised as "makes good island car".

I tried marketing an old truck as "fit for the mayor of a small island" or anyone who wants to drive migrant workers around their farm.

Sadly, buyers take things too seriously.
frown.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I try to joke on my Craigslist ads. "Snowblower for sale, $150. Will wipe dirt and dust off for an additional $5,000".

I love the term "Never raced." when a guy is selling something like a dirt bike.

Should be automatically followed up with "Never maintained either."

Another one I like is "Get it now cuz it won't be here long." on ads that are a month old.

I also enjoy the ads that are so poorly written that you'd think a four year old had composed it.

I also like the ads you see for guys from small, remote towns/villages selling stuff. You'd think that if they have a computer, they'd be connected enough to the world to see that they're asking ridiculous prices for what they're selling?

When people don't respond to e-mails when they say they accept them.

Looking for a used truck, not too much $$. Saw one on CL - said e-mail or text. So I sent an e-mail asking for some more information (engine, trans, and a picture of the interior). No e-mail back but an update of the ad. Then sent another e-mail asking for a pic of the interior saying I know it's a 14 year old truck and it won't be perfect (want to make sure it at least looks OK before driving the 45 minutes to see it. Have heard nothing....

And then there are the ones that only accept text messages? Really? No calls? No e-mails?

What cracks me up is the questions some prospective buyers ask. I recently had a Tecumseh push-mower engine listed that I took off a trashed Craftsman mower. Engine only. Was very specific in the add and had nice pics of the engine only perched atop my workbench.

I was getting calls asking; "Does it come with the bagger?"

You gotta be kidding me. LOL.

Joel

Originally Posted By: itguy08
When people don't respond to e-mails when they say they accept them.

Looking for a used truck, not too much $$. Saw one on CL - said e-mail or text. So I sent an e-mail asking for some more information (engine, trans, and a picture of the interior). No e-mail back but an update of the ad. Then sent another e-mail asking for a pic of the interior saying I know it's a 14 year old truck and it won't be perfect (want to make sure it at least looks OK before driving the 45 minutes to see it. Have heard nothing....

And then there are the ones that only accept text messages? Really? No calls? No e-mails?

To be fair on the flip side of the coin the seller just wants people to come look at the thing and not answer 300 questions from 400 people. The kind of people who ask all sorts of questions are the kind of customer who'll call back in two years because the ashtray light burnt out.

IOW, don't look like you're window shopping.

Probably the seller has a guy "coming to look at it" and you're in the zombie time between first contact and cash exchange, so he's saving your email as a "safety" in case the first deal falls through.

I was looking for a crib a while back. Found what appeared to be a solid maple wood crib, but the discription gave no mention of the condition and to text any questions.

Wanting to know the condition, I sent a text asking,

"What shape is the crib in?"
I get a text back, "Rectangle."

It took me a minute and a couple re-reads of my text to see how she came up with her response.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

To be fair on the flip side of the coin the seller just wants people to come look at the thing and not answer 300 questions from 400 people. The kind of people who ask all sorts of questions are the kind of customer who'll call back in two years because the ashtray light burnt out.

IOW, don't look like you're window shopping.

Been a while but I look at it like this - I want to know it meets my needs before I waste everyone's time looking at it. In my truck example, there was critical information missing - engine, trans, etc. And I wanted to make sure the interior wasn't trashed.

I'd rather take the time and answer the 300 emails rather than have 200 people show up and not like what they saw.

I did end up going and looking at that truck from the seller but it needed some mechanical help (slipping trans).

I love the line "will not respond to is it still for sale?". I bet I must have called a couple hundred people that don't remove their add when it's sold. Another good one is how they tell you how easy it will be to get the title for whatever they're selling. If it's so easy why don't they get it?.,,

saw an ad for a used Ford Ranger.

"only has a little rust on the doors, frame, floor boards, bumpers, running boards, and tailgate".

then further down in the same ad:

"body is in great shape and engine runs great"
lol.gif

I'm looking for a used lawn mower.. currently have a very tired craftman that needs just about everything and is about to explode.. came with the house and the oil is silver after about 10 hours.

so I'm looking and see this add for a lawnboy mower

Lawnboy push mower. It's self propelled and has a side bagger! It cuts great. 50$
No compression so selling for parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back