Rotella T vs T6? In 1.8t Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

I'm in Canada and it seems here at Canadian Tire they only sell Rotella T 5W-40 (although not 100% sure...just what they show on their site I need to double check for sure in the store) and Walmart does sell Rotella T6 5W-40.

What's the difference between these two oils? I read that the T6 is the newer improved version of the "T"? I tried searching more but didn't really find anything...

Also, I was thinking about switching from the Castrol 5W-40 I use in my 1.8t now to the T6 5W-40...what do you guys think? Is it a good oil to use in gas 1.8t's? I've looked at 2 oil analyses on here and they seem to be OK for gasoline engines? (Specifically here and here)

My uncle swears by the T6 and runs it in everything he owns (Jetta VR6, Allroad 2.7t, Duramax). Is he right in doing this? It's OK to use in all 3 of these vehicles?

I feel like I'm going to be told to search more...but I have searched and just want a concrete answer.

Thanks guys,
Elliott

I wouldnt have an issue running T6 in those engines and yours. I had real good luck (absolutely sludge free 1.8t GTI with 190k miles on it) running 0w-40 M1, so Id consider that too.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have never seen 0W-40 Mobil 1 oil here...the only ones they have are the 5W-40 for diesel engines and 5W-30's.

http://www.walmart.ca/canada-estore/catalog/productdetailpagecontainer.jsp?trail=SRCH%3Amobil+1&skuId=10045285&ancestorID=alldept&searchString=mobil+1&moduleName=S0011&startSearch=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH%3Amobil+1

Last edited:
I believe you are mistaken about the Rotella 'T'. The Rotella 'T' is not a 5W-40, it is a conventional 15W-40, in a white jug or quart bottle. The T6 is it's synthetic brethren in 5W-40, in a navy blue jug.

Those are basically the differences based on appearance.

The T6 is not formally approved by VW for use in that engine while the Castrol is, probably the factory fill too. Not saying the T6 wouldn't be more than adequate, just the facts. The M1 0W-40 like already mentioned, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 and the very hard to find Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 and Quaker State Euro 5W-40 would also be suitable and meet the manufacturer specifications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
I believe you are mistaken about the Rotella 'T'. The Rotella 'T' is not a 5W-40, it is a conventional 15W-40, in a white jug or quart bottle. The T6 is it's synthetic brethren in 5W-40, in a navy blue jug.

Those are basically the differences based on appearance.

The T6 is not formally approved by VW for use in that engine while the Castrol is, probably the factory fill too. Not saying the T6 wouldn't be more than adequate, just the facts. The M1 0W-40 like already mentioned, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 and the very hard to find Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 and Quaker State Euro 5W-40 would also be suitable.

Thanks.

Here's what they show on their site:

1325479906.png

And yes I'm quite sure the Castrol is the factory fill for these cars...but is the Rotella a better oil than the Castrol? Other than a brand of oil that is owned by Elf that they sell here, there are no other 5W-40 oils available that I can buy in the store...so just wondering if I should stick with what I use or switch to the Rotella (quite cheaper than the price of Castrol which seems to have hiked in the past few weeks...it's now $50 sans tax for a 5 litre jug)

Last edited:
Hmmm... As you can see, it says synthetic and in a 5W-40, is there another jug called T6? If not, I'm willing to bet they are the same product. It's probably marketed differently in Canada than here in the US.

The Elf oil is also quite good, just in very limited supply in the US and not many know much about it. I wouldn't say the Rotella is a better oil, the Castrol syn and the Shell are marketed to be used for completely different reasons, usually. If the Castrol meets your engine specs and the Shell doesn't, it's really your call.

I will say, the Rotella will be a little more robust in terms of it's additive package with a lot of anti wear additives and cleaning detergents when compared the Castrol 5W-40. The Rotella would work well with the nature of your car's engine (turbo'd etc). Not knocking Castrol by any means but I am a Shell fan (as you can see below) and would probably use it over the Castrol just based on preference.

FWIW, I had a track prepped STI and used the T6 with much success as well as 2 other Subaru WRX's, all turbocharged, modded and not easy engines on the oil.

Last edited:
I am fairly sure your engine needs synthetic oil as does my VW with the 1.8turbo. Castrol ow40 or 5w40 is the usual synthetic oil recommended. Make sure the oil used is recommended for use in gasoline engines. Especially if warranty in effect

Hmmm... As you can see, it says synthetic and in a 5W-40, is there another jug called T6? If not, I'm willing to bet they are the same product. It's probably marketed differently in Canada than here in the US.

The Elf oil is also quite good, just in very limited supply in the US and not many know much about it. I wouldn't say the Rotella is a better oil, the Castrol syn and the Shell are marketed to be used for completely different reasons, usually. If the Castrol meets your engine specs and the Shell doesn't, it's really your call.

I will say, the Rotella will be a little more robust in terms of it's additive package with a lot of anti wear additives and cleaning detergents when compared the Castrol 5W-40. The Rotella would work well with the nature of your car's engine (turbo'd etc). Not knocking Castrol by any means but I am a Shell fan (as you can see below) and would probably use it over the Castrol just based on preference.

FWIW, I had a track prepped STI and used the T6 with much success as well as 2 other Subaru WRX's, all turbocharged, modded and not easy engines on the oil.

Yeah I'm not sure but I think the bottle says T6 on it now. I haven't been to Canadian Tire to check recently but anyway I know I can buy it somewhere. After reading more it seems to me that a lot of is based on preference and a lot of the BlackStone lab reports I've seen say that both the Castrol and T6 are good to use.

The thing that concerns me is that I read the T6 does not contain any friction modifiers which can harm the catalytic converters and lower fuel mileage in gas cars. Is this still true or what?

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
I am fairly sure your engine needs synthetic oil as does my VW with the 1.8turbo. Castrol ow40 or 5w40 is the usual synthetic oil recommended. Make sure the oil used is recommended for use in gasoline engines. Especially if warranty in effect

Yes that is the oil I have been using for a long time now. The car is a '99 so no warranty to worry about here lol.

Before there was T6 5w-40, there was T 5w-40. The latter is just an older version of the T6, from a few years back. He's basically looking at old stock on the shelf. There is very little difference between the two though:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330292#Post2330292

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330040#Post2330040

Originally Posted By: ElliottG
The thing that concerns me is that I read the T6 does not contain any friction modifiers which can harm the catalytic converters and lower fuel mileage in gas cars. Is this still true or what?

It's increased levels of phosphorus that may potentially harm cats, not the fact that it has fewer friction modifiers. Lower levels of friction modifiers may in fact degrade fuel economy, but it's a marginal difference.

Unless you have massive oil consumption issues, I wouldn't worry. After all, it carries API SM rating for gasoline passenger cars, too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Before there was T6 5w-40, there was T 5w-40. The latter is just an older version of the T6, from a few years back. He's basically looking at old stock on the shelf. There is very little difference between the two though:

Thanks for the info.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330292#Post2330292

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330040#Post2330040

It's increased levels of phosphorus that may potentially harm cats, not the fact that it has fewer friction modifiers. Lower levels of friction modifiers may in fact degrade fuel economy, but it's a marginal difference.

Unless you have massive oil consumption issues, I wouldn't worry. After all, it carries API SM rating for gasoline passenger cars, too.

I see. I mean, all modern diesels have cats so why would they do this? By that token I'm guessing that it is safe to run in gasoline cars with cats aswell ?(basically all modern cars?)

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP!

Last edited:

Thanks for the info.

I see. I mean, all modern diesels have cats so why would they do this? By that token I'm guessing that it is safe to run in gasoline cars with cats aswell ?(basically all modern cars?)

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP!

Yes it is safe to basically run it in all gasoline cars. It has an API SM rating and is approved to use on all model cars up to 2010.

Yeah, T6 is fine to run in a modern gas engine with cats. The higher ZDDP, etc, levels would gunk up the cat a little faster if the engine used a significant amount of oil, but if it doesn't, then it won't make any detectable difference.

the main worry with the 1.8 t is engine sludging, basically it turns to coal up by the rocker arm

this is well know issue with several class action lawsuit

use diesel rated oil (t6 is excellent) and change it every 5000 miles

the additional detergents will help keep the oil passages clean

don't worry about the cat converter plugging, all new diesel oils have CJ approval and are have ZN/P levels set to protect the converter

The T6 is not formally approved by VW for use in that engine

This.

Is your car still under warranty?

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Yeah, T6 is fine to run in a modern gas engine with cats. The higher ZDDP, etc, levels would gunk up the cat a little faster if the engine used a significant amount of oil, but if it doesn't, then it won't make any detectable difference.

Thanks. Well I mean the engine does use a bit of oil...mostly because of it's turbocharged nature and the fact that the car has over 220k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
the main worry with the 1.8 t is engine sludging, basically it turns to coal up by the rocker arm

this is well know issue with several class action lawsuit

use diesel rated oil (t6 is excellent) and change it every 5000 miles

the additional detergents will help keep the oil passages clean

don't worry about the cat converter plugging, all new diesel oils have CJ approval and are have ZN/P levels set to protect the converter

Heheh yup...trust me I know all about the sludge issues. I fel bad for the people who own passats and don't know about the sludge problems :x. Anyway I've run Castrol 5W-40 in my car since I got it and always changed at around ~5k miles and haven't had any problems...

But thanks I think I'll end up switching to the T6, then.

Originally Posted By: CptnFormat

This.

And no...as mentioned above it is a '99 with 220k miles. I realize if I did have a car under warranty I would use the Castrol instead.

Wouldn't let me edit the above post? Sorry for posting twice...didn't see the second page.

Originally Posted By: CptnFormat

This.

And no...as mentioned above it is a '99 with 220k miles. I realize if I did have a car under warranty I would use the Castrol instead.

Wouldn't let me edit the above post? Sorry for posting twice...didn't see the second page.

No Worries. I had good luck with Motul 8100 5w-40 in my A4. However, T6 is like, 20$/gallon cheaper. (Canada, aswell)

Considering all the issues with this motor I wouldn't use anything other than factory recommended. My buddy is a factory trained VW/Audi Master Mechanic and after reading all the internal Audi documents he switched to M1 0w40 for his personal A4 turbo. He seafoamed the engine before switching. He previously used Castrol Syntec 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back