type f and type fa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in my local car quest today, and i noticed that the car quest house brand type f transmission fluid is called car quest type fa transmission fluid, and right next to it is the valvoline brand that says valvoline type f.
Is there a difference between type f atf and type fa atf? if so whats the difference between the two if any difference?

They are compatible fluids, type F/A has extra FM's for some older ford transmissions. I would get the Valvoline type F unless you have a classic car and need F/A, though it won't hurt your vehicle. What are you putting it in?

Originally Posted By: pjc360
I was in my local car quest today, and i noticed that the car quest house brand type f transmission fluid is called car quest type fa transmission fluid, and right next to it is the valvoline brand that says valvoline type f.
Is there a difference between type f atf and type fa atf? if so whats the difference between the two if any difference?

They are one and the same. It's interesting that Valvoline makes the Type FA, or used to. Now it's Car Quest type FA.

http://www.yakolda.com/assets/eng/pdf_pisheets/ATFtypeFA.pdf

http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2007/062507_ATF.pdf

It's going to be going into a non lock up chrysler A-518 transmission in a 1991 dodge ram half ton short bed 4x4.
I just had the transmission re-built in september and was told to flush all the atf out of it and change the filter after 1000 miles, i've got 675 miles on it right now.

so will i want the fa with the extra friction modifyers or just the regular type f? i will be having a transgo stage 2 shift kit installed soon as well, and i'm going to nhave them increase the line pressure 1 full revolution.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
They are compatible fluids, type F/A has extra FM's for some older ford transmissions.

Is that true? Valvoline clearly states their FA has no FM's.

ya, thats what i thought also, if type fa has some friction modifyers in it then i'll most likey run the reg type f, i was thinking that maybe they were the same but i wasnt sure? all i know is i was told i'd have better performing shifts with type f and lower transmission tempatures in my overdrive torqueflight, the A-518, and my converter is a non lock up converter so i dont have a converter clutch to worry about.

I have 5qts of valvoline type fa, and I've been using it in my p/s units in both Ford's, so far.. so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back