Mobil 0w40 versus 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Choice" depends on what you're putting it in...unless you can't get the 0W40 down under...is that what you're saying?

If higher viscosity was the only thing that made oil better, we would fill our crankcases with 75W90...but even in 1932, Packard recommended viscosities based on temperature range...and on the hottest of days, it was "medium heavy cylinder oil", or 40WT, or even "heavy cylinder oil", or 50WT...in the winter, it was "light cylinder oil" or 10WT...with variations in between.

So, depending on what you put this in, one viscosity may be better than the other...regardless of add packs, which are similar...

Last edited:
In OZ the thinnest grade recommended is the 5w30.

I think the Ford FPV vehicles with the 5.0L coyote engine are the only ones running the 5w20 grade here.

Redline Oils in Australia recommends 5W40 as the preferred grade for the for 5 degC to 35 degC range for the 3.8L Buick V6 engine 2002 to 2004 model.
http://www.redlineoil.com.au/oil-finder-detail.asp?CategoryID=3515&ProductID=7552

Based on Redline Oil recommendations their 5w40 HTHS of 4.6 then Mobil 1 5W50 HTHS of 4.4 maybe the better choice in Australian conditions compared to the M1 0w40.

It is strange to see that the Redline 5w30 or 10w30 with a HTHS of 3.8 that supposedly doesn't shear is not recommended for the 5 degC to 35 degC range.

The M1 0w40 is available at $92 for 5L compared to $72 for 5L for the M1 5w50. As the add packs are basically the same I guess the 5w50 also is supported as perhaps the better value for money choice.

Last edited:
Depends on the car you put the oil in .
If the car manufacturer calls for a specific spec oil - use it !

If the application is Ford with the Coyote engine, The engine doesn't require anything more than a HTHSV 2.6cP oil.
I'd run the lightest economical synthetic 5W-30 you can get your hands on.
If you have access to RL, then their 0W-20 would be a good choice although still heavier than necessary with it's HTHSV of 3.0cP.
Another choice is Fuchs Titan GT1 0W-20 with it's HTHSV of 2.8cP which I understand is $80/4L jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back