VQ35DE OEM Nissan oil filter specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting to choose an oversized oil filter, but I want to stay near the "bypass valve setting psi" spec on the oem filter....

I'm seeing different BPVS PSI ranges from all the popular oem sized aftermarket oil filters

I'm thinking of getting the
WIX 51347
Which is the biggest I've found that will fit on the oem oil "warmer" (oil warmer - 3" OD)

But its bypass valve setting psi is 9-11Psi....not sure if this is too low

Originally Posted By: bikinilust
I'm seeing different BPVS PSI ranges from all the popular oem sized aftermarket oil filters

The bypass valve setting is somewhat dependent on the filter too ... that's why you will see different settings from different filter makers for the same car.

These are the longer filters I can use on my '04 Altima with the VQ35. You probably wont find any larger than these, except maybe the Purolator 14619 which some have said will fit.

Purolator 14610
Bosch 3323
WIX 51356
NAPA Gold 1356
K&N HP-1010
MOBIL 1 M1-110
FRAM XG7317

I'm thinking of getting the
WIX 51347 Which is the biggest I've found that will fit on the oem oil "warmer" (oil warmer - 3" OD)

But its bypass valve setting psi is 9-11Psi....not sure if this is too low

I wouldn't worry too much about the bypass setting unless it ridiculously high. BTW ... it's technically an "oil cooler".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
BTW ... it's technically an "oil cooler".
wink.gif

Notice how I put the word WARMER in parenthesis....

I personally do not consider it an oil "cooler" because coolant at about 195 Degrees farenheit does not do much for oil cooling, opposed to coolant increasing in temperature helping warm oil during a cold start. I consider it an emmissions feature because the sooner the engine warms up, the sooner the piston rings and cylinder walls will expand and create optimum compression, the lower the cold start emmissions....

So yes, they do call it an oil cooler, but I call it an oil warmer.

Last edited:
wink.gif

I personally do not consider it an oil "cooler" because coolant at about 195 Degrees farenheit does not do much for oil cooling, opposed to coolant increasing in temperature helping warm oil during a cold start. I consider it an emmissions feature because the sooner the engine warms up, the sooner the piston rings and cylinder walls will expand and create optimum compression, the lower the cold start emmissions....

Yes, it does help to "warm up" the oil during a cold start, but it's main function is to keep the oil cool.

They are really oil coolers, because if you run an engine hard for a long time the oil temperature will go well above the coolant temperature - like in the neighborhood of 250+ deg F ... so coolant at 195 deg F is used to cool the oil back down to near 195 deg F. You wouldn't really want to cool oil lower than that anyway, as then all the condensation wouldn't ever get burned off.

These are the longer filters I can use on my '04 Altima with the VQ35. You probably wont find any larger than these, except maybe the Purolator 14619 which some have said will fit.

Purolator 14610
Bosch 3323
WIX 51356
NAPA Gold 1356
K&N HP-1010
MOBIL 1 M1-110
FRAM XG7317

WIX 51347
Can height: 4.828"
Can OD: 2.921"
Gasket OD: 2.734"
Gasket ID: 2.430"

What's the biggest oil filter from your list?
Keep in mind the oil "cooler" flange is 3" OD

WIX 51347
Can height: 4.828"
Can OD: 2.921"
Gasket OD: 2.734"
Gasket ID: 2.430"

What's the biggest oil filter from your list?
Keep in mind the oil "cooler" flange is 3" OD

The 51347 is too tall for my Altima because the end would protrude into the fender well cover. As far as the OD on the 51347 ... only way to know if it will fit is to try one.

Purolator says the 20073 crosses over, but may not be a "direct cross".
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/reso...1347&page=1

I guess I got lucky then seeing as how the 350Z/G35 has room for this filter.

Ordered the filter today, should have it monday

Post up some photos of it mounted up on the engine ... would like to see how it fits.
thumbsup2.gif

wink.gif

Yes, it does help to "warm up" the oil during a cold start, but it's main function is to keep the oil cool.

They are really oil coolers, because if you run an engine hard for a long time the oil temperature will go well above the coolant temperature - like in the neighborhood of 250+ deg F ... so coolant at 195 deg F is used to cool the oil back down to near 195 deg F. You wouldn't really want to cool oil lower than that anyway, as then all the condensation wouldn't ever get burned off.

The exact same device comes on many Harley Davidsons for this reason. Air-oil coolers are not necessary and only add to the cost of the car.

I'd have to say that's probably the biggest filter that will fit on a VQ35DE if you have the room for the length.

I was wondering how much more oil would you have to add? I have the VQ30 in my maxima and I'd like to get a bigger filter so I can increase the capacity of oil. Right now I put in 4.2qt's of oil which sucks because I can't use a full 5 qt bottle.

I run the Purolator PureOne PL14610 in my G35. I also have ran the NAPA Gold 1356 in the past, but the P1 is a better value.

Can I run the Mobil 1 M1-110 in my G35?

I have two of these (plus one Bosch 3300) that my son gets with his oil special w/filter at AZ for this '08 VW GTI. His car's oil filter does not qualify for for the promo, so I tell him the get the filter to fit my wife's '08 Acura TL.

Originally Posted By: RumbleG

Can I run the Mobil 1 M1-110 in my G35?

I have two of these (plus one Bosch 3300) that my son gets with his oil special w/filter at AZ for this '08 VW GTI.

Yes, the Mobil 1 M1-110 and the Bosch 3323 are the long versions for the VQ35, just as the Purolator 14610 is.

The Bosch 3300 is the shorter version, just as the Purolator 14612 is for the VQ35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back