Oil for Silverado 1500 4.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife bought a 2000 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8 liter V8. Has 175k miles.

This is the first american made vehicle I'll be working on. What kind of oil does it use and whats the capacity of it?

6 quart capacity. I maintain two GM pickups. I use Pennzoil Platinum in both.

The 2000 Sierra gets 10w-30, and the 2004 Silverado gets 5w-30.

For you, in Florida, I'd recommend 10w-30, year-round.

Any good name-brand oil will work just fine. This engine is more particular about weight than brand. The older models (99-03) seem to prefer a heavier (10w-30) oil, due to a piston issue.

If you happen to know what the previous owner used... then that's what I'd continue to use.

I was planning on going with 10w30 PYB or Pennzoil HM. I read that it specs 5w30 if I'm correct. My mother in law has the same truck and said she uses 10w30. Any specific brand of oil filter this engine likes?

Last edited:
I would use 5-30 in Florida.
In my experience you may get a second or two of valve tick with the 10-30 you do not get with a 5-30.
I have used Valvoline Synpower 5-30 with Purolator Pure-1 oil filters in my wife's Tahoe with the 5.3 (same engine-slightly longer stroke)

My '02 Silverado 4.8L liked Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30 and Wix filters. No lifter tick, no piston slap, no oil consumption.

Maybe I'm missing something here but, even on lets say an 80 degree cold start morning in Florida, 10W takes longer than 5w to reach vital engine areas. When both oils are at full operating temperature both flow as 30 weights.

My preference would be 5w30 and if was REALLY picky i'd look for DEXOS approved oil.

Yeah that's right ... with 10W-30 at 80 degrees Fahrenheit in Florida,
you're gonna get massive cold start up wear. 5W-30 will save the day.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yes it was 82 degrees today, December 26th, in sunny Florida.

That ain't right. There's something wrong with that.
crazy2.gif

My 2000 OBS likes HM either 5w30-10w40 I have used 15w40 once but I think the 10w40 works just as good. Dont use any 5w20 the truck engines dont seem to like that thin of oil

I might as well bust my cherry on this thread.

My 01 Silverado 4.8 with 148k on it, received nothing but Castrol GTX 5w/30 with 5k OCI's its whole life. No leaks, no oil use and the look down the filler tube shows no sludge or varnish.

Even though I have had great succes with the GTX, it is very hard for me to stay away from the numbers I have seen on the PYB conventional oil. GTX doesn't show much on the Boron or Moly like PYB does but I can't argue with the actual results on my particular engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back