Distilled vs Deionized...What does the OEM use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When ford fills vehicles, is it distilled or deionized water?

Also which is better, I have both avail to me and they are close in price.

Check the owner's manual.....it should state in there what to use.

Other than that, I think the only way to "truely" know, would be to get a coolant analysis done.....cause the owner's manual will likely be extremely "vague" and reference some "OEM Parts Counter product"
smile.gif

Ford is using the red or the green now...?

Prestone had deionized water on clearance at big lots several years back, (about $2.99 gal)have not noticed it since. MB and BMW used to specify de-ionized water. I have always used full strength anti-freeze and distilled water since WM sell water for 80 cents. I buy it anyway for my elderly dog to put in stainless bowl as city water is sometimes treated with temporary chemicals harmful to reduced immune systems and plastic bowls seem to have a link to cancer in dogs.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Ford is using the red or the green now...?

Color is not a good indicator of antifreeze chemistry.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
When ford fills vehicles, is it distilled or deionized water?

Also which is better, I have both avail to me and they are close in price.

For vehicle use, either is fine. Which is better is simply a moot point, since the addition of antifreeze in addition to the molecules of metal and other stuff released from the surfaces of the engine, hoses, etc. will immediately cancel out the minute differences between the two.

Having said that, there are differences in the quality of these products simply due to the equipment they are processed in. With an EC meter I have compared store bought distilled water to DI water from our greenhouse Culligan DI columns and the DI water is SLIGHTLY better. But, as the DI columns begin to be "spent", the DI water quality quickly degrades.

So, the bottled distilled water "should" have good quality control. What is your DI source and is it reliable?

Again, it's a moot point otherwise, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back