0W30 vs 5W30 vs 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty new to this website and want to know differences between these weights. I live in SoCal and have been told a 0W30 and 5W30 weights are too thin too use. They advice me to use 10W30. I would like to someones opinion who knows oil. Its for an ls1 camaro with 113k miles that gets warmed up every time I use it, but then gets driven hard.

You have obviously been misinformed, 0w30 5w30 and 10w30 will all be the same weight at operating temperature, a 30 weight, the first number designates its cold thickness, a 0w30 will cause less wear and easier start ups even at 100F vs 5w or 10w.

I recommend that you start by reading the text at the home page of BITOG, it is very informative for people new to the site on the basics of oils and weights.

Since all the oils are xxw30, they are basically the same weight oil, not thicker or thinner than each other at operating temps. The only difference is at cold temperatures where the 0w and 5w are thinner than the 10w.

Check your manual, but realistically, any of them are likely fine if your car calls for xxw30.

I do not think it gets too cold in LA therefore a high quality 5w30 or 10w30 or even 10w40 will be fine. Make sure you change the oil at specified intervals. Always use quality oil. It is far less expensive to buy oil and filters that to rebuild an engine.

If you manual calls for w30, use 10w30 in the summer and 5w or 0w30 during the winter months, even if the temps don't go down below zero F.

GC 0w30 is a high quality oil, I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all in a car requiring a 30 weight that doesn't burn a lot of oil, GC 0w30 is also a heavier 30 weight, just a little short of a 40 weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do it then, it will work well in your area and provide great protection. Again, change it at recommended intervals.

GC 0w30 is not a fuel efficient 0w30 so the usual rules about 0w-xx oils do not apply.

Fwiw, GM does not recommend the use of 0w30 in a car calling for 5w30 unless the ambient temp is below 32F or 0F (one of the two). That says a lot.

I would look at your owners manual for oil viscosity and it should have various oil grades for various temps. Pick one that best matches what the temps will be during your next OCI.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
GC 0w30 is not a fuel efficient 0w30 so the usual rules about 0w-xx oils do not apply.

Fwiw, GM does not recommend the use of 0w30 in a car calling for 5w30 unless the ambient temp is below 32F or 0F (one of the two). That says a lot.

Why do you say that?

If the OP had a newer model in warranty vehicle, I might want to steer him clear of a 0w30, just for warranty purposes. This situation is different and any 0w30 would work in this car. The whole bottom line is the guy can really SAFELY use any XXw30 he wants. As long as he feels it is a good quality lube anything is safe in Cali. Though I would use a 0-5w in the mountains.

Unless you have a new GM under warranty, which requires a 5W-30 dexos oil, I see no reason not to use 0W-30 year round. Even at 100F it will flow better at startup and provide the same operational viscosity and protection as a 5W or 10W oil.

Anyone who believes that a 5W or 0W is "too thin" simply does not understand the API viscosity system.

No, its a 99 Camaro SS that has plenty of miles! I just want a good oil for my car, which is why I am considering using GC.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Why do you say that?

GM obviously knew that 0w30 will be synthetic, yet they chose to not allow it for all temps. Plus 0w30 would have given a fuel efficiency advantage as well.

Clearly there is a concern with the amount of VII in the oil, which will likely lead to more shearing and deposit build-up than a comparable 5W30.

Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 meets GM 4718M and according to the Mobil comparison chart, has the same high temperature level protection as the EP line. I don't think it's necessary to use that oil but if you did use a 0w30 that would be the one I would use. I'd stick with M1 5w30 EP.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Unless you have a new GM under warranty, which requires a 5W-30 dexos oil, I see no reason not to use 0W-30 year round. Even at 100F it will flow better at startup and provide the same operational viscosity and protection as a 5W or 10W oil.

Anyone who believes that a 5W or 0W is "too thin" simply does not understand the API viscosity system.

+1, Thanks Old Cowboy.

Critic, I would agree with you if this was under warranty but an oil like "GC" 0w30 is thicker anyway it has room to shear some and still protect this engine fine. M1 0w30 would be fine, M1 0w40 even better.

"GC" is over-rated IMO. It is not the formula it used to be but it is a good lube. As Buster mentioned M1 5w30 EP would be an excellent choice, Pennzoil Ultra is also outstanding. You have a lot of great choices...don't forget M1 0w40!!

I realize that this car is not under warranty. Nor is GC 0w30 remotely similar to the fuel-efficient 0w30 oils. So in a way this is really off-topic.

However, it still makes me wonder why GM is adamantly against 0w30 unless temps are extremely cold. Obviously they have a concern about protection and deposits (perhaps high-temp ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back