9MM Hex wrench...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I was looking for the golden goose... Our truck's brake pins are a 9mm hex... most everyone's sets are 8-10..skipping the 9. I had to run all over the place...

Why the *&$(#% do so many places skip a size in a set... it's like wrench sets that skip the 18mm, I NEED that thing for the cars and trucks, it turns up all the time!

Why the heck do they make some sizes so hard to get?

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
I feel like I was looking for the golden goose... Our truck's brake pins are a 9mm hex... most everyone's sets are 8-10..skipping the 9. I had to run all over the place...

Why the *&$(#% do so many places skip a size in a set... it's like wrench sets that skip the 18mm, I NEED that thing for the cars and trucks, it turns up all the time!

Why the heck do they make some sizes so hard to get?

Just go to Sears and get a single 9mm.

9mm is an odd, little-used size, probably why nobody has it in a set. Are you sure that hex isn't actually 3/8"?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
What's a hex wrench? Do you mean a 9mm. Allan? Is this on a gm? Those use a 3/8ths Allan.

Oh, so this vehicle would have a 3/8" hexagonal recess in a round-headed fastener, rather than having a fastener with a hexagonal head. I'm not a GM guy, so I didn't guess that.

And you meant "Allen", not "Allan". Correct spelling will help in online searches.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Chris142
What's a hex wrench? Do you mean a 9mm. Allan? Is this on a gm? Those use a 3/8ths Allan.

Oh, so this vehicle would have a 3/8" hexagonal recess in a round-headed fastener, rather than having a fastener with a hexagonal head. I'm not a GM guy, so I didn't guess that.

And you meant "Allen", not "Allan". Correct spelling will help in online searches.

Ya GM has used this design from the early 70's and possibly earlier than that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Brake-Caliper-Bolt-Kit-/390369964969?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AChevrolet&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae3dcf3a9

I've always heard the tool called an Allan or Allen socket. Never heard of hex wrench before.

Hex Wrench is the proper name for an Allen wrench, just like a "cresent wrench" is technically an adjustable open end wrench and "channel locks" are technically "tongue and groove" pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back