anybody using ROKU instead of cable provider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just saw this at best buy? just wondering if anybody is using this and what they think? Do you get to see everything you want?

We have two of them and use them for Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming. They work well for their intended purpose, but I don't think you could completely replace cable TV with just a Roku.

Roku is a easy way to use netflix streaming to your TV. It mainly has old movies and tv shows, but is still significantly cheaper than cable. If you want new episodes, you are still going to need cable or an antenna.

If you like B list or older 2nd run movies or sitcoms you'll prolly like what Netflix/Hulu has to offer. The Roku box is just the interface that will allow you to stream those services. Other options are Blu-ray DVD players and TV's that have the same capabilities built right in.

I looked into it and tried Netflix's free trial. We streamed through a wireless BR DVD player. Wasn't for us as we aren't big movie or citcom watchers. Newer releases aren't available to stream and the movie selection is OK at best(Netflix, don't know about Hulu). Netflix has a plan which you can stream and have actual DVD's of new releases, but have come under fire for increasing prices recently.

While very appealing from a price standpoint, is wasn't for us. No live sports was a big problem. I considered adding a digital antenna to get the over-the-air local channels that would help fill in some of the gaps, but still decided it would require too much of a shake-up of our viewing habits.

Still, very appealing from a price perspective(didn't I just say that?). Research the different services and what they offer to see if it fits you, or if you'd be willing to make changes in what you watch.

I have a Roku, it's more of a source of extra programming than a replacement for cable or satellite.

FWIW, I think the Roku has the biggest selection of programming available from similar devices, including a lot of off the wall stuff.

There are forums/websites dedicated to Roku (and other devices) that will give you a better idea what is available.

We bought a Roku the first month they came out. It was by far, the best $99 purchase I've ever made. Between our Roku, Netflix DVDs, and OTA TV, there's more than enough to keep us entertained.

Got rid of cable and now just use an OTA antenna and a Roku box. I also have a netflix streaming and Hulu plus subscription. I'd say that if you need up to the minute news or sports, stay and pay for cable. Really for most of my watching, I am happy with just OTA programming. I do get the major channels though. JMO, though, the content on netflix and Hulu plus is disappointing but guess you can't expect much for 8 bucks a month.

Thought about getting Roku. But, I found that I can buy a blu-ray streaming player for 20 bucks more with the same Roku features that I wanted.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Thought about getting Roku. But, I found that I can buy a blu-ray streaming player for 20 bucks more with the same Roku features that I wanted.

Which Blu ray player has all the Roku channels??

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Which Blu ray player has all the Roku channels??

A PS3 can do all of this!

PS3 is about the most expensive possible solution. There are also other 'free' solutions to do this stuff if you have laptop or desktop wirh video/hdmi output and I'm not talking about web browser solution.

The Blu ray players have very limited channels. I recently bought a Panasonic and I was expecting a lot more. Very few channels and you have to buy subscriptions for them, I already have Netflix. Roku has a few more channels but not as many as you would expect by now.
You would think they would have a few commercial channels to beef things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back