Broken Hinge on Tool Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone figured out a way to repair plastic hinges on the molded plastic tool sets? My favourite kit with sockets has one of the two hinges broken. Right now I put an elastic band around it but there must be a way of repairing it. I thought of screwing another hinge on it but I can't get to the other side of the blown plastic. Any suggestions?

This is the container for at least 50 sockets. It is molded for the size of each one, along with screw drivers, pliers etc. I like them organized as opposed to tossing them all in a tool box and trying to search for the right size every time.
It is not the length of the drill bit that is a problem. I would have to cut out a portion of the inside molded plastic (for the sockets) in order to put a nut on a screw if I retrofitted a plastic or metal hinge.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
This is the container for at least 50 sockets. It is molded for the size of each one, along with screw drivers, pliers etc. I like them organized as opposed to tossing them all in a tool box and trying to search for the right size every time.
It is not the length of the drill bit that is a problem. I would have to cut out a portion of the inside molded plastic (for the sockets) in order to put a nut on a screw if I retrofitted a plastic or metal hinge.

use a rivnut for the blind hole. Then screw in a hinge. riveter and nuts available at harbor Freight.

The threaded insert and a metal hinge was my first thought, but threaded inserts and rivets will pull through the plastic if you can't get to the inside and use backup washers or plates.

Duct tape.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
It is not the length of the drill bit that is a problem...

If that is the case, the aftermarket hinge of your choice secured to the case with JB Weld or similar product should hold for a long time. You have to think like McGyver.

Lots of great ideas here. I am going to try the least evasive first... leather and glue hind.
Thanks folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back