Make your own Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seafoam is nothing really special...I'm surprised people actully pay money for it...
21.gif

Billionaires, bankers and other members of the nefarious 1% secretly use it in their kerosine lamps

I know most here are Seafoam haters but every car and truck ive used it in has clean injectors and fuel filters when ive changed them or taken apart motors. Is it for sure from sea foam...no but I have also seen alot of cars with gummed up filters and injectors and they have not used it. In short I will keep finding it on sale with coupons and using it. The most I have paid is about 5.00 a bottle so to me its worth it.

I've used it until it got to pricey for my tastes. I don't think it'll hurt anything but I won't be using it weekly either. that's a bit much. IMO

I made 1.30 gallons for less than $20

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
I know most here are Seafoam haters but every car and truck ive used it in has clean injectors and fuel filters when ive changed them or taken apart motors. Is it for sure from sea foam...no but I have also seen alot of cars with gummed up filters and injectors and they have not used it. In short I will keep finding it on sale with coupons and using it. The most I have paid is about 5.00 a bottle so to me its worth it.

What was causing the gummed up filters?

That's an interesting concept....diesel fuel as one of the parts of the homebrew
wink.gif

Because if I recall....back a year or 3 ago, when I was researching "RXP" additive advertised at AutoZone (AFAIK, they are the only "chain" to sell it even....) - I read (i believe from the manufacturerer website/MSDS...) that the "RXP Additive" actually contains "diesel" as an additive too....

How interesting
wink.gif
Now obviously, that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and add "Cetane Boost" or "Power Service" diesel additive to my gasoline tank but perhaps it's some sort of reasoning like the HDEO concept, that some people believe in, running HDEO oils in "gasoline" engines for "cleaning" - does the diesel fuel have "cleaning" atributes....? Well, then again, [censored], even I've used standard 87 aki to clean greasy messes
wink.gif

Find it interesting too that, they are using the diesel fuel in place of the "pale oil".....I'm not a diesel guy...but is diesel "oily"...?

Yah,its oily. Diesel is the same as #2 heating oil. I think kerosene is #1 fuel oil. Diesel is oily, but has solvency as well. In early ohv engines that were cold natured taking short runs SA oils would sludge up the engine so bad the 1" breather tubes had to be dunked in gas and burned out. Anyway, a common attempt to clean out a sludgy engine was to drain the oil, and refill with diesel oil. Then to idle the engine for 5 minutes with no load on it. I dont advocate using this on any engine less than 40 yrs old.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Diesel is oily, but has solvency as well.

If you ran Mogas in a military multifuel piston engine, you were supposed to mix engine oil in with it to lubricate the injection pump. Something like 1 quart of oil for every 4 gallons of Mogas. I don't remember the exact ratio. We always had diesel so we didn't worry about it. Diesel kept the injection pump lubricated just fine.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

If you ran Mogas in a military multifuel piston engine, you were supposed to mix engine oil in with it to lubricate the injection pump. Something like 1 quart of oil for every 4 gallons of Mogas. I don't remember the exact ratio. We always had diesel so we didn't worry about it. Diesel kept the injection pump lubricated just fine.

do you mean jp8? mogas is gasoline.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

do you mean jp8? mogas is gasoline.

No, I mean Mogas. Motor gasoline. Not Avgas. It was a National Guard unit. We still had M151 quarter ton Jeeps and an AMC Hornet and Ford Fairmont "6 passenger sedans" that were spark ignition engines so we had to have both fuels.

I just remember seeing the warning sign in the motor pool about adding oil to the fuel when using Mogas in the M35. I thought it was cool that you could use multiple types of fuel in a truck that was made that long ago.

Great information! Love the DIY stuff that makes its way here l. Anyone with a sludge filled engine wanna show us pics of your experience?

diesel is just a filler...like kerosene...like mineral spirits.

Home dry cleaning fluid was my choice around 20 years ago.

BTW, the "stabilty" of the additive is nothing like the stability of the additive blended in fuel.

We had multifuel 2 1/2 tons when I was in the National Guard in the previous millennium. We only ran diesel in them but were told they could run on diesel, kerosene or gasoline, called Mogas in the Army.

And, I don't think Seafoam is junk, but should be used with a certain amount of caution. I have used it and think we got good results.

So basically SeaFoam is isopropyl alcohol (probably not needed since gas contains 10% ethyl alcohol anyway), naphtha (similar to gasoline, but maybe a better solvent), and pale oil (similar to diesel, may provide some, but not much, lubricity).

Sounds like it would be more effective to just add small percentages of some form of naphtha and TCW-3 instead!

Multi-fuel engines were used by the military from the 60's to the late 80's. It was a system developed by MAN (Machinen Fabrik von Augsburg und Nurenburg). Essentially a distributor-type diesel fuel injection pump with a fuel density compensator built on. It was calibrated on Diesel fuel. If you used something with less density, such as gas, it caused the compensator to increase the amount of fuel injected because it would give less energy per unit. I believe that if using gasoline, you had to mix 1qt. of 10wt oil per 10 gallons of gas to lube the pump and injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back