Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few friends with high performance cars who swear by Baldwin filters for their size, but are they recommended in most applications?

Baldwin filters I'm sure are fine. But if I were you I'd find some other relatively obscure (at least to end consumers in the US) brand and swear by them. I'd buy Mann off Amazon. It would help if you have a dozen filters cut open in a pail in the corner of your garage. Brand loyalty usually stops abruptly when I pull that out.

They are the best bang for the buck here. I have been happy with them so far, no issues. I'll have a couple to cut open in a few weeks. Unfortunately they will be added to the bucket of filters to cut open.

RRounds, is the the spec'd filter for your car?
If yes, it is much bigger than the others.
They do look like they are of a good quality

I would say that is a fair statement. Would be nice if the beta ratios were standardized to be published at the same micron or %. At very least they should meet the manufacturer's specs for efficiency which "should" be good enough.

I have Baldwin's efficiency ratings for all of their filters that I will be using, sorry not for the Ecotec cartridge those are not available. Some are better than others. The B7010 for my Mom's Montana for example is more efficient than the B43-S for my wifes G6. I just think it would be easier to compare brands if all the specs were listed at 6 and 20 microns let's say. As opposed to Wix being 2@6microns and 20@20microns vs Baldwin being 2@12microns and 75@30microns. If all brands were listed at betas of 2 and 20 or the microns at 6 and 20 it would make comparison easier, like the KV 40 & 100 specs.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
RRounds, is the the spec'd filter for your car?
If yes, it is much bigger than the others.
They do look like they are of a good quality

The Baldwin filter for the S2000(B179) is NOT the Baldwin filter I use(B7042). The B7042 is a much bigger filter than the stock filter. It takes 6 qt's. of oil to do a oil and filter(B7042) change instead of 5.1 qt's. with the stock filter.

ROD

rrounds - Doesn't look like the baldwin has an anti drainback valve. Wouldn't that be required by Honda?

The Baldwin filter has anti drainback valve.
This is off of the Baldwin web site for the B7042 filter

Descriptions:Lube Spin-on
Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve
14 PSID By-Pass Valve
Fits: Caterpillar Lift Trucks; Citroen Trucks; Peugeot Automotive, Light-Duty Trucks
Replaces: Caterpillar 1N4402; Citroen 95638903; Peugeot 110987
Thread: M20 x 1.5
O.D.: 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length: 5 3/8 (136.5)
I. Gskt.: G381-A

ROD

Baldwin doesn't publish all their information online, if you call or email they will usually get back to you the same day with all the info you could every want. Over all they are very wallet friendly for the most part, the oil filter for a 5.9 Cummins was like 5 bucks a pop for 30 microns absolute, OEM spec was 35 micron absolute. On my current truck, 7.3 PSD, OEM spec is 18 microns abs and Baldwin is like 23 microns. Efficiency wise they seem to float around OEM spec, not much more, not much less.

I used them for a short while still have a couple on the shelf in the outside storage building. Good filter but no better than an oem Motorcraft or P1 and more trouble to obtain plus more expensive. I will be using the MC or Purolator filters in the future just for those two reasons.

Its funny, I called Baldwin to discuss filters for my 2007 6.1L Jeep. They list two, one being a long version. They told me if I used this filter on my Jeep and encountered a problem, it would not be warrantied. Does this make sense?

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Its funny, I called Baldwin to discuss filters for my 2007 6.1L Jeep. They list two, one being a long version. They told me if I used this filter on my Jeep and encountered a problem, it would not be warrantied. Does this make sense?

If they actually list two filters for the vehicle on their website or in their catalog, then it doesn't make sense. If they list both as applicable, then they are saying they "approve both filters".

If they don't approve the longer filter from a warranty perspective, then they shouldn't even list it for the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back