Napa Platinum vs K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
What it the longest I could run either filter on my vehicles? They are the same price @ Napa. I have a 07 GMC Sierra 5.3 w/ AFM and a 03 Crown Vic 4.6, both using Mobil 1 EP.

I wouldnt want to run too long in the GMC if its still under 10/100 warranty.

Originally Posted By: Whizbanger
What it the longest I could run either filter on my vehicles? They are the same price @ Napa. I have a 07 GMC Sierra 5.3 w/ AFM and a 03 Crown Vic 4.6, both using Mobil 1 EP.

It depends on your driving style, are you a Short Trip Driver.

Not concerned with the warranty, just looking for a max OCI with off the shelf oil and filters. Any other max combo? I use my car for work and turns close to 4.5k a month with 195k on it. I bought it cheap and figured I would wear it out and get something different. Well it doesn't seem to want to wear out so looks like it's staying. I'm considering doing 15k on it. I did 10-14k on Super Tech oil and filters before. The truck has alway had to either Mobil 1 , PP, or PU and AC Delco or Wix/Napa Gold. Most of the time it does 1.5 k a month. First new truck so I keep the OCI 5-8k. The "new" has wore off so maybe I'll do 15k / 1 year.

I'd like to add I have done UOA on both with good results. The one thing that bothered me was I asked to look specifically for signs of chain tensioner failure which is very common on 03 Crowns. They didn't seem to know what to look for. After that, I wondered how much faith you can really put in their interpretation and recommendations.

Last edited:
I'd go with the NAPA Platinum. If you're running that many highway miles in a short period of time with Mobil 1 EP, I think the filter would go a 15K OCI with no problem if those motors are already clean inside.

So are you trying to find the OCI that will cause the engine to actually wear out so you can get something different? 10-14k isn't long enough? I'm puzzled what you are actually trying to do. You got 195k using 10-14k OCI, that seems like a winning formula to me (In my humble opinion of course). Well good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
So are you trying to find the OCI that will cause the engine to actually wear out so you can get something different? 10-14k isn't long enough? I'm puzzled what you are actually trying to do. You got 195k using 10-14k OCI, that seems like a winning formula to me (In my humble opinion of course). Well good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I'm looking for a long OCI with a good combo to make them last. Before I wasn't really concerned about wear on the car so I used cheap dino oil and filters. Since I will keep the car longer, I'd like to take better care of it and still keep a long OCI. The truck has always got synthetic oil and good filters, just looking for a longer OCI.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Bosch Distance Plus, and Pennzoil Ultra.

I'd like to use Ultra but unfortunately it's not readily available in my area. Local WM used to have it but not anymore.

The only oil that I know that says it can last that long is Amsoil. Personally, I am very wary of that long an OCI. In my case, since I only change the oil 2-3 times a year and I normally go from 6-10,000 miles a year. In your case, since even with longer OCI's it may be worth it to look into the top o the line Amsoil. Buying it by the case by Pablo or one of out sponsors may save you a bunch. In your case, UOA's would actually save you in the long run. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: johnachak
The only oil that I know that says it can last that long is Amsoil. Personally, I am very wary of that long an OCI. In my case, since I only change the oil 2-3 times a year and I normally go from 6-10,000 miles a year. In your case, since even with longer OCI's it may be worth it to look into the top o the line Amsoil. Buying it by the case by Pablo or one of out sponsors may save you a bunch. In your case, UOA's would actually save you in the long run. Good luck!

Addendum.... F.Y.I.
The 3 changes a year are on the Freestyle as I use it on a trip or two a year over 2,500 miles each with a rooftop carrier and 5-6 passengers and luggage. The manual calls for a 3,000 mile OCI under those circumstances.

K&N is paper media with some synthetic fibers in it. Platinum is full synthetic media. A direct comparison of surface area is apples to oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back