Switching from High mileage oil, bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good friend of mine has a 2005 pontiac grand prix. It has 110k on it, he has been using HM oils of different brands since around 70k. It doesnt use or burn oil during his 5k OCI. I was telling him about how good of an ad pack that PYB has and how good it is said to clean an engine, and he asked if it would cause problems if he stopped using HM oils and went to the PYB.

Since HM oils have seal swellers in then, would this cause a problem? Furthermore, does PYB have more cleaning agents than than the HM oils?

Thanks for any info!!

Nope,won`t hurt a thing. Imo,"high mileage" is just a marketing ploy. I only use one currently so I can have a 10W40 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Imo,"high mileage" is just a marketing ploy.
I respectfully disagree.

I have a 2006 Town & Country 3.8L (106K miles) that consumed some oil during each OCI. I switched to QS HM 5W-20 and it didn't use any. I am now running Vavlvoline NextGen MaxLife 5W-20 and it hasn't consumed any. I believe it is doing exactly what it claims.

I am planning on switching back to regular conventional 5W-20 for a 5K OCI to see if I lose any again.

I'm hoping that the HM oil did condition the seals as advertised and that it will no longer lose oil even on a non-HM oil.

We'll see.

The answer to the OP, though, is no, switching back to a non-HM oil will not hurt.

I used Maxlife for about 3 oci's and then switched back to plain Valvoline and never had any problems from it. I curently use Quaker State but will also be trying PYB on my next oil change.

I used Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 for 2 OC's and it stopped weeping cam seals, switched back to M1 5W-30 for last 2 OC's and all is fine.

Marketing ploy? No way!
HM oils are on the thicker end of their viscosity range, have extra additives, and seal conditioners.

Thanks fellas! Do the HM oils have more or less cleaning additives than their conventional counterparts?

Mobil 1's High mileage seems to be quiet different then their regular syn oil.

just look at the ZDDP levels alone http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Its also SL rated, probably because of the ZDDP restriction on 30wts for SM and SN.
Its also not an energy conserving oil.

looks like it would be a nice oil for someone looking for extra zddp like maybe a jeep or slightly built up engine.

anyway, does not look like a marketing hype. Its even the same price at my wal-mart. i just bought some 2 days ago

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back